May 3, 2013, 8:36 PM EDT
“When you walk into an arena that’s half full or two-thirds full, it gives you a sense of the confidence of the traveling team. When you walk into sold-out arenas, you worry about getting your team to communicate. When the arena’s sold out, there’s so much more pressure on an opposing team to play in a certain manner.”
Those were the words of Nebraska head coach Tim Miles in early April when discussing his hopes for the Huskers’ move into the new Pinnacle Bank Arena in downtown Lincoln. The program has struggled for years, and while Miles’ first season at Nebraska displayed signs of progress the Huskers still finished below .500 (15-18; 5-13 Big Ten).
Two words can sum up Nebraska’s announcement in regards to ticket sales: mission accomplished.
Nebraska announced on Friday that the 2013-14 home slate at Pinnacle Bank Arena is sold out, with the exception of tickets that are set aside for the visiting team and nearly 100 student tickets the athletic department expects to be sold soon.
For established basketball programs selling out for the season six months before the first game isn’t a big deal. But this is Nebraska, a school that hasn’t reached the NCAA tournament since 1998 and has just two 20-win campaigns since that season.
While Miles was hopeful that the fans would come through on their end, he certainly didn’t expect this level of success in regard to ticket sales.
“I’m glad to have a waiting list, and I hope that waiting list piles up,” said Miles in a story by the Associated Press. “I hope everyone shows up and stands up and yells at the top of their lungs. It should be a great thing.”
Nebraska loses two of their top three scorers in Dylan Talley and Brandon Ubel, but with the return of Ray Gallegos and Shavon Shields and the addition of a three-member recruiting class that includes shooting guard Nathan Hawkins and small forward Nick Fuller reaching the .500 mark should be a realistic goal.
Having a new arena will certainly help in building excitement within the fan base. But ultimately it will be the product on the floor that ensures a full building in the years to come.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)