May 3, 2013, 12:41 PM EST
With just five players on the 2013-14 roster at the time of his hiring, first-year San Jose State head coach Dave Wojcik had a lot of work to do on the recruiting trail with the Spartans approaching their debut season in the Mountain West.
Wojcik’s landed four commitments thus far, and the recruiting work may have led to a delay in regards to the announcement of his coaching staff. On Thursday San Jose State officially announced the hiring of assistant coaches Chris Brazelton, Jack Kennedy and Omar Lowery.
Both Brazelton and Lowery have multiple seasons of experience at the Division I level, with Brazelton arriving at San Jose State by way of Drake and Lowery by way of Cal Poly.
Kennedy just completed his first season as an assistant coach at San Francisco, however he was a part of the San Francisco program for the past five seasons in some capacity (two seasons as a grad assistant, followed by two as director of basketball operations).
The experience that Brazelton and Lowery have as recruiting coordinators at past jobs should serve San Jose State well as they look to put together a competitive product in the Mountain West.
The Spartans and Utah State are both making the move over from the WAC, and there’s no doubt that at present time the Aggies are the more prepared program of the two.
Now that the staff is set, look for San Jose State to be even more active as they look to fill out the roster for the 2013-14 campaign.
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)