May 3, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
With just five players on the 2013-14 roster at the time of his hiring, first-year San Jose State head coach Dave Wojcik had a lot of work to do on the recruiting trail with the Spartans approaching their debut season in the Mountain West.
Wojcik’s landed four commitments thus far, and the recruiting work may have led to a delay in regards to the announcement of his coaching staff. On Thursday San Jose State officially announced the hiring of assistant coaches Chris Brazelton, Jack Kennedy and Omar Lowery.
Both Brazelton and Lowery have multiple seasons of experience at the Division I level, with Brazelton arriving at San Jose State by way of Drake and Lowery by way of Cal Poly.
Kennedy just completed his first season as an assistant coach at San Francisco, however he was a part of the San Francisco program for the past five seasons in some capacity (two seasons as a grad assistant, followed by two as director of basketball operations).
The experience that Brazelton and Lowery have as recruiting coordinators at past jobs should serve San Jose State well as they look to put together a competitive product in the Mountain West.
The Spartans and Utah State are both making the move over from the WAC, and there’s no doubt that at present time the Aggies are the more prepared program of the two.
Now that the staff is set, look for San Jose State to be even more active as they look to fill out the roster for the 2013-14 campaign.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)