May 3, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
With just five players on the 2013-14 roster at the time of his hiring, first-year San Jose State head coach Dave Wojcik had a lot of work to do on the recruiting trail with the Spartans approaching their debut season in the Mountain West.
Wojcik’s landed four commitments thus far, and the recruiting work may have led to a delay in regards to the announcement of his coaching staff. On Thursday San Jose State officially announced the hiring of assistant coaches Chris Brazelton, Jack Kennedy and Omar Lowery.
Both Brazelton and Lowery have multiple seasons of experience at the Division I level, with Brazelton arriving at San Jose State by way of Drake and Lowery by way of Cal Poly.
Kennedy just completed his first season as an assistant coach at San Francisco, however he was a part of the San Francisco program for the past five seasons in some capacity (two seasons as a grad assistant, followed by two as director of basketball operations).
The experience that Brazelton and Lowery have as recruiting coordinators at past jobs should serve San Jose State well as they look to put together a competitive product in the Mountain West.
The Spartans and Utah State are both making the move over from the WAC, and there’s no doubt that at present time the Aggies are the more prepared program of the two.
Now that the staff is set, look for San Jose State to be even more active as they look to fill out the roster for the 2013-14 campaign.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)