May 4, 2013, 11:07 AM EDT
Florida announced its non-conference schedule for 2013-14 on Friday and it includes more than a few challenges for a potentially deep Gators team before SEC play begins.
Coming off of an Elite 8 loss to Michigan, the Gators will give themselves plenty of early season opportunities to gauge where they stand in the national college basketball landscape. Scheduling the second game of the season at the Kohl Center to face Wisconsin is no joke and Florida will also be tested early with a November clash at home against in-state rival Florida State on the eve of their football game.
Three days after Florida State, head coach Billy Donovan takes the Gators to Storrs to face Connecticut for the first time since the 1994 NCAA Tournament and the following week Kansas will travel to Gainesville to face Florida.
There is also a likely a game against Memphis for December 17th at the Jimmy V Classic in New York, although final details are still being negotiated per the Florida athletics website. A four-game stretch against Florida State, Connecticut, Kansas and potentially Memphis would be among the most challenging stretches any team will schedule for the 2013-14 season.
The Gators’ full non-conference schedule for 2013-14 can be viewed below:
Nov. 8: North Florida (afternoon game)
Nov. 12: at Wisconsin
Nov. 16: Arkansas Little-Rock
Nov. 18: Southern
Nov. 21: Middle Tennessee State
Nov. 25: at Jacksonville
Nov. 29: Florida State
Dec. 2: at Connecticut
Dec. 10: Kansas
Dec. 17: vs. Memphis in Jimmy V Classic at New York (details still in negotiation)
Dec. 21: TBD in Orange Bowl Classic at Sunrise, Fla.
Dec. 29: Savannah State
Jan. 4: Richmond
With the return of Patric Young, Scottie Wilbekin and Will Yeguete, as well as the addition of McDonald’s All-Americans Kasey Hill and Chris Walker, Florida has the talent to compete for a national title and this non-conference slate will prepare them for the SEC and likely SEC favorite Kentucky.
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)