May 4, 2013, 6:54 PM EST
When you get down in the metaphorical mud and grit of a basketball Final Four, it’s safe to bet on Rick Pitino’s thoroughbreds to at least win, place or show.
In the 139th Kentucky Derby, however, which was run in a literal mud pit, Rick Pitino’s horse Goldencents didn’t quite make the grade. The horse, partially owned by the Louisville head coach, finished 17th out of 19 after chasing a blistering pace early on. 20th place belonged to Black Onyx, a late scratch from the race. Goldencents was ridden by Kevin Krigger, who was a notable Derby participant in his own right.
The Derby, which was televised by NBC, was won by Orb, which came from behind – 15th place at the race’s start – to cross the finish line well ahead of the nearest competition. Golden Soul finished second behind Orb by 2 1/2 lengths, and Revolutionary finished third, just ahead of a tightly packed group that included Normandy Invasion and Mylute.
Of course, it’s an honor just to be nominated, as we all know. And you can’t win ‘em all, even though Pitino certainly tried to this season.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 1
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)