May 4, 2013, 6:54 PM EDT
When you get down in the metaphorical mud and grit of a basketball Final Four, it’s safe to bet on Rick Pitino’s thoroughbreds to at least win, place or show.
In the 139th Kentucky Derby, however, which was run in a literal mud pit, Rick Pitino’s horse Goldencents didn’t quite make the grade. The horse, partially owned by the Louisville head coach, finished 17th out of 19 after chasing a blistering pace early on. 20th place belonged to Black Onyx, a late scratch from the race. Goldencents was ridden by Kevin Krigger, who was a notable Derby participant in his own right.
The Derby, which was televised by NBC, was won by Orb, which came from behind – 15th place at the race’s start – to cross the finish line well ahead of the nearest competition. Golden Soul finished second behind Orb by 2 1/2 lengths, and Revolutionary finished third, just ahead of a tightly packed group that included Normandy Invasion and Mylute.
Of course, it’s an honor just to be nominated, as we all know. And you can’t win ‘em all, even though Pitino certainly tried to this season.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)