May 4, 2013, 6:54 PM EDT
When you get down in the metaphorical mud and grit of a basketball Final Four, it’s safe to bet on Rick Pitino’s thoroughbreds to at least win, place or show.
In the 139th Kentucky Derby, however, which was run in a literal mud pit, Rick Pitino’s horse Goldencents didn’t quite make the grade. The horse, partially owned by the Louisville head coach, finished 17th out of 19 after chasing a blistering pace early on. 20th place belonged to Black Onyx, a late scratch from the race. Goldencents was ridden by Kevin Krigger, who was a notable Derby participant in his own right.
The Derby, which was televised by NBC, was won by Orb, which came from behind – 15th place at the race’s start – to cross the finish line well ahead of the nearest competition. Golden Soul finished second behind Orb by 2 1/2 lengths, and Revolutionary finished third, just ahead of a tightly packed group that included Normandy Invasion and Mylute.
Of course, it’s an honor just to be nominated, as we all know. And you can’t win ‘em all, even though Pitino certainly tried to this season.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)