May 4, 2013, 10:11 AM EDT
South Carolina and men’s basketball coach Frank Martin announced the seventh member of its 2013 recruiting class on Friday as in-state guard Jaylen Shaw officially signed with the Gamecocks.
The 6-1 Shaw will have four years of eligibility and helped lead Hartsville High School to back-to-back high school state championships in South Carolina, including the 2013 state championship game which saw Shaw go for 23 points, eight rebounds and seven assists.
“We’re excited about Jaylen Shaw. The young man is an ultimate competitor. He’s proven that he’s a winner by getting back-to-back state championships. We are excited about the athleticism and skill that he brings to our team,” Martin said.
Shaw is considered a three-star recruit according to Rivals and is South Carolina’s seventh recruit overall for the 2013 class. Shaw joins 6-9 forward Demetrius Henry, 6-2 guard Duane Notice and 6-6 forward Reggie Theus Jr. as the fourth member to sign this spring. Two fellow South Carolina natives — 6-4 Justin McKie and 6-5 Sindarius Thornwell — signed with the Gamecocks earlier in the fall and join 6-9 center Desmond Ringer and Villanova transfer Tyrone Johnson to round out the seven-man class.
With the addition of this seven-man class, Martin — in a little over one year at the helm in South Carolina — has quickly turned over much of the roster with players he’s recruited. The former Kansas State coach also added four spring signees last year after accepting the South Carolina job in late March — although only 6-11 center Laimonas Chatkevicius and 6-7 forward Mindaugas Kacinas played for the Gamecocks last season among the four spring signees.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)