May 5, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
After spending a year away from Division 1 basketball at Palm Beach State College, Jonathan Holton has committed to Bob Huggins at West Virginia, according to Adam Zagoria.
As a freshman playing for Jim Baron at Rhode Island during the 2011-12 season, Holton averaged 10.2 points and 8.1 rebounds, but his career as a Ram came to an abrupt end as he was arrested and charged with two counts of video voyeurism in March of 2012, as reported by the Providence Journal.
A native of Miami, Holton spent last season at Palm Beach State College — a junior college located in Lake Worth, FL about an hour north of Miami — with full intent of returning to Division 1 basketball. He had initially committed to Richard Pitino Jr. at Florida International, but re-opened his recruitment after Pitino accepted the head coaching job at Minnesota.
Holton explained his reasoning for choosing West Virginia:
“I chose West Virginia because it was the best spot for me in that they needed a guy with energy who can rebound and score right away,” Holton told SNY.tv. “I have a little experience under my belt. I averaged 19 points and 18 rebounds last year. I’m a huge fan of Coach [Bob] Huggins, how he runs his program and I feel he can help me get to the next level where I want to go.”
Holton will be eligible to play right away for Bob Huggins.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)