May 5, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
After spending a year away from Division 1 basketball at Palm Beach State College, Jonathan Holton has committed to Bob Huggins at West Virginia, according to Adam Zagoria.
As a freshman playing for Jim Baron at Rhode Island during the 2011-12 season, Holton averaged 10.2 points and 8.1 rebounds, but his career as a Ram came to an abrupt end as he was arrested and charged with two counts of video voyeurism in March of 2012, as reported by the Providence Journal.
A native of Miami, Holton spent last season at Palm Beach State College — a junior college located in Lake Worth, FL about an hour north of Miami — with full intent of returning to Division 1 basketball. He had initially committed to Richard Pitino Jr. at Florida International, but re-opened his recruitment after Pitino accepted the head coaching job at Minnesota.
Holton explained his reasoning for choosing West Virginia:
“I chose West Virginia because it was the best spot for me in that they needed a guy with energy who can rebound and score right away,” Holton told SNY.tv. “I have a little experience under my belt. I averaged 19 points and 18 rebounds last year. I’m a huge fan of Coach [Bob] Huggins, how he runs his program and I feel he can help me get to the next level where I want to go.”
Holton will be eligible to play right away for Bob Huggins.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (30)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)