May 5, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
After spending a year away from Division 1 basketball at Palm Beach State College, Jonathan Holton has committed to Bob Huggins at West Virginia, according to Adam Zagoria.
As a freshman playing for Jim Baron at Rhode Island during the 2011-12 season, Holton averaged 10.2 points and 8.1 rebounds, but his career as a Ram came to an abrupt end as he was arrested and charged with two counts of video voyeurism in March of 2012, as reported by the Providence Journal.
A native of Miami, Holton spent last season at Palm Beach State College — a junior college located in Lake Worth, FL about an hour north of Miami — with full intent of returning to Division 1 basketball. He had initially committed to Richard Pitino Jr. at Florida International, but re-opened his recruitment after Pitino accepted the head coaching job at Minnesota.
Holton explained his reasoning for choosing West Virginia:
“I chose West Virginia because it was the best spot for me in that they needed a guy with energy who can rebound and score right away,” Holton told SNY.tv. “I have a little experience under my belt. I averaged 19 points and 18 rebounds last year. I’m a huge fan of Coach [Bob] Huggins, how he runs his program and I feel he can help me get to the next level where I want to go.”
Holton will be eligible to play right away for Bob Huggins.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 14
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 9
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 71
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 17
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (75)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)