May 5, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
After spending a year away from Division 1 basketball at Palm Beach State College, Jonathan Holton has committed to Bob Huggins at West Virginia, according to Adam Zagoria.
As a freshman playing for Jim Baron at Rhode Island during the 2011-12 season, Holton averaged 10.2 points and 8.1 rebounds, but his career as a Ram came to an abrupt end as he was arrested and charged with two counts of video voyeurism in March of 2012, as reported by the Providence Journal.
A native of Miami, Holton spent last season at Palm Beach State College — a junior college located in Lake Worth, FL about an hour north of Miami — with full intent of returning to Division 1 basketball. He had initially committed to Richard Pitino Jr. at Florida International, but re-opened his recruitment after Pitino accepted the head coaching job at Minnesota.
Holton explained his reasoning for choosing West Virginia:
“I chose West Virginia because it was the best spot for me in that they needed a guy with energy who can rebound and score right away,” Holton told SNY.tv. “I have a little experience under my belt. I averaged 19 points and 18 rebounds last year. I’m a huge fan of Coach [Bob] Huggins, how he runs his program and I feel he can help me get to the next level where I want to go.”
Holton will be eligible to play right away for Bob Huggins.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)