May 5, 2013, 6:37 PM EST
With six players leaving the UMKC program, first-year head coach Kareem Richardson has some work to do on the recruiting trail as he prepares for his head coaching debut.
Richardson has landed two commitments in the 2013 class, as Kansas City natives Martez Harrison (Brewster Academy) and Franklin Williams Jr. (Indian Hills CC) have agreed to join the program.
The Kangaroos may have landed a third player on Sunday, as it was reported by Evan Daniels of Scout.com that former Bradley forward Shayok Shayok has decided to transfer to UMKC.
After playing nearly 19 minutes per game as a freshman Shayok saw his playing time drop significantly as a sophomore, as he averaged just 7.7 minutes as a sophomore.
Shayok, a 6-8 power forward from Ottawa, Ontario, averaged just 1.7 points and 1.5 rebounds per game last season.
While statistically Shayok’s arrival won’t cause major waves among UMKC fans the fact of the matter is that the Kangaroos simply need to add players as they move from the Summit League to the reconfigured WAC.
UMKC won just eight games last season under Matt Brown (5-11 Summit League), and with three of their top five scorers gone (including sophomore guard Estan Tyler, who is transferring) the 2013-14 campaign could be a tough one for the Kangaroos.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 13
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (17)
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can the ACC produce four Final Four teams? (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Report: Kansas transfer Conner Frankamp considering Colorado, Wichita State (3)