May 5, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
With six players leaving the UMKC program, first-year head coach Kareem Richardson has some work to do on the recruiting trail as he prepares for his head coaching debut.
Richardson has landed two commitments in the 2013 class, as Kansas City natives Martez Harrison (Brewster Academy) and Franklin Williams Jr. (Indian Hills CC) have agreed to join the program.
The Kangaroos may have landed a third player on Sunday, as it was reported by Evan Daniels of Scout.com that former Bradley forward Shayok Shayok has decided to transfer to UMKC.
After playing nearly 19 minutes per game as a freshman Shayok saw his playing time drop significantly as a sophomore, as he averaged just 7.7 minutes as a sophomore.
Shayok, a 6-8 power forward from Ottawa, Ontario, averaged just 1.7 points and 1.5 rebounds per game last season.
While statistically Shayok’s arrival won’t cause major waves among UMKC fans the fact of the matter is that the Kangaroos simply need to add players as they move from the Summit League to the reconfigured WAC.
UMKC won just eight games last season under Matt Brown (5-11 Summit League), and with three of their top five scorers gone (including sophomore guard Estan Tyler, who is transferring) the 2013-14 campaign could be a tough one for the Kangaroos.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)