May 5, 2013, 5:16 PM EST
Just two days after it was reported that rising senior point guard Quincy Taylor has decided to transfer from UAB, head coach Jerod Haase landed an important recruit in the form of Gulf Coast State guard Chad Frazier (6-4, 190 pounds).
In 29 games this season Frazier, who at various points in his career committed to Oklahoma State and Texas A&M, averaged 15.6 points, 4.7 assists and 3.9 rebounds per contest.
Frazier’s decision is a big one for the Blazers as Taylor (3.0 apg) and Terence Jones (3.6 apg) were the team leaders in assists last season. UAB welcomes three point guards among its seven newcomers, as Frazier joins incoming freshmen Dayshawn Watkins and Denzel Watts.
Both Watkins and Watts have signed a National Letter of Intent to attend UAB.
Leading scorers Rod Rucker (14.5 ppg, 82 rpg) and Jordan Swing (14.0 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.7 apg) return for the 2013-14 season, and with many of Conference USA’s best basketball programs moving to the American Athletic Conference this summer the Blazers may be able to improve their status within the conference.
How successful Haase and his staff are in doing so will hinge on how well the returnees mesh with the seven newcomers.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)