May 5, 2013, 5:16 PM EDT
Just two days after it was reported that rising senior point guard Quincy Taylor has decided to transfer from UAB, head coach Jerod Haase landed an important recruit in the form of Gulf Coast State guard Chad Frazier (6-4, 190 pounds).
Chad Frazier (6-4/G/2013) of Gulf Coast St. has committed to UAB.—
Brad Winton (@JucoRecruiting) May 05, 2013
In 29 games this season Frazier, who at various points in his career committed to Oklahoma State and Texas A&M, averaged 15.6 points, 4.7 assists and 3.9 rebounds per contest.
Frazier’s decision is a big one for the Blazers as Taylor (3.0 apg) and Terence Jones (3.6 apg) were the team leaders in assists last season. UAB welcomes three point guards among its seven newcomers, as Frazier joins incoming freshmen Dayshawn Watkins and Denzel Watts.
Both Watkins and Watts have signed a National Letter of Intent to attend UAB.
Leading scorers Rod Rucker (14.5 ppg, 82 rpg) and Jordan Swing (14.0 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.7 apg) return for the 2013-14 season, and with many of Conference USA’s best basketball programs moving to the American Athletic Conference this summer the Blazers may be able to improve their status within the conference.
How successful Haase and his staff are in doing so will hinge on how well the returnees mesh with the seven newcomers.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 0
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 0
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)