May 5, 2013, 9:58 PM EDT
After two seasons as an assistant coach under fellow Arizona alum Josh Pastner at the University of Memphis, Damon Stoudamire will reportedly return to Tucson to join Sean Miller’s staff.
Stoudamire fills the vacancy left by the departure of James Whitford, who left Arizona to become the new head coach at Ball State. Prior to his two seasons at Memphis, Stoudamire was an assistant coach for the Memphis Grizzlies from 2009-11.
Adding Stoudamire to the staff gives Coach Miller an assistant who not only has experience at both the collegiate and professional levels, but also a prominent figure in the history of Arizona basketball.
It’s one thing to be able to tell current players stories regarding some of the names hanging up in the rafters. It’s another for the players to have the ability to interact with one of those legends on a daily basis.
Stoudamire currently ranks sixth on the school’s all-time scoring list, and during his time in the “Old Pueblo” Stoudamire helped lead the Wildcats to two Pac-10 titles, four NCAA tournament appearances and a Final Four appearance in 1994.
In two of Miller’s first four seasons at Arizona the program has reached the second weekend of the NCAA tournament, only to fall to UConn in the 2011 Elite Eight and Ohio State in the Sweet 16 last month.
- Hoiberg to Chicago means Iowa State has everything riding on hiring right replacement 2
- Brandon Austin’s latest mistake: using the media to try and garner sympathy 2
- Former Missouri forward Johnathan Williams III transfers to Gonzaga 2
- Reports: #FredHoibergWatch takes another step forward 0
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 44
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Auburn center Trayvon Reed released from jail (5)
- Amidst Iowa State rumors, Jeff Hornacek discusses commitment to Phoenix Suns (5)
- Roy Williams says he has not yet seen UNC’s Notice of Allegations (5)
- Report: San Diego State coach Steve Fisher wants to get rid of one-and-done (4)