May 5, 2013, 9:58 PM EDT
After two seasons as an assistant coach under fellow Arizona alum Josh Pastner at the University of Memphis, Damon Stoudamire will reportedly return to Tucson to join Sean Miller’s staff.
Stoudamire fills the vacancy left by the departure of James Whitford, who left Arizona to become the new head coach at Ball State. Prior to his two seasons at Memphis, Stoudamire was an assistant coach for the Memphis Grizzlies from 2009-11.
Adding Stoudamire to the staff gives Coach Miller an assistant who not only has experience at both the collegiate and professional levels, but also a prominent figure in the history of Arizona basketball.
It’s one thing to be able to tell current players stories regarding some of the names hanging up in the rafters. It’s another for the players to have the ability to interact with one of those legends on a daily basis.
Stoudamire currently ranks sixth on the school’s all-time scoring list, and during his time in the “Old Pueblo” Stoudamire helped lead the Wildcats to two Pac-10 titles, four NCAA tournament appearances and a Final Four appearance in 1994.
In two of Miller’s first four seasons at Arizona the program has reached the second weekend of the NCAA tournament, only to fall to UConn in the 2011 Elite Eight and Ohio State in the Sweet 16 last month.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)