May 5, 2013, 9:58 PM EDT
After two seasons as an assistant coach under fellow Arizona alum Josh Pastner at the University of Memphis, Damon Stoudamire will reportedly return to Tucson to join Sean Miller’s staff.
Stoudamire fills the vacancy left by the departure of James Whitford, who left Arizona to become the new head coach at Ball State. Prior to his two seasons at Memphis, Stoudamire was an assistant coach for the Memphis Grizzlies from 2009-11.
Adding Stoudamire to the staff gives Coach Miller an assistant who not only has experience at both the collegiate and professional levels, but also a prominent figure in the history of Arizona basketball.
It’s one thing to be able to tell current players stories regarding some of the names hanging up in the rafters. It’s another for the players to have the ability to interact with one of those legends on a daily basis.
Stoudamire currently ranks sixth on the school’s all-time scoring list, and during his time in the “Old Pueblo” Stoudamire helped lead the Wildcats to two Pac-10 titles, four NCAA tournament appearances and a Final Four appearance in 1994.
In two of Miller’s first four seasons at Arizona the program has reached the second weekend of the NCAA tournament, only to fall to UConn in the 2011 Elite Eight and Ohio State in the Sweet 16 last month.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)