May 5, 2013, 9:58 PM EST
After two seasons as an assistant coach under fellow Arizona alum Josh Pastner at the University of Memphis, Damon Stoudamire will reportedly return to Tucson to join Sean Miller’s staff.
Stoudamire fills the vacancy left by the departure of James Whitford, who left Arizona to become the new head coach at Ball State. Prior to his two seasons at Memphis, Stoudamire was an assistant coach for the Memphis Grizzlies from 2009-11.
Adding Stoudamire to the staff gives Coach Miller an assistant who not only has experience at both the collegiate and professional levels, but also a prominent figure in the history of Arizona basketball.
It’s one thing to be able to tell current players stories regarding some of the names hanging up in the rafters. It’s another for the players to have the ability to interact with one of those legends on a daily basis.
Stoudamire currently ranks sixth on the school’s all-time scoring list, and during his time in the “Old Pueblo” Stoudamire helped lead the Wildcats to two Pac-10 titles, four NCAA tournament appearances and a Final Four appearance in 1994.
In two of Miller’s first four seasons at Arizona the program has reached the second weekend of the NCAA tournament, only to fall to UConn in the 2011 Elite Eight and Ohio State in the Sweet 16 last month.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)