May 6, 2013, 9:23 PM EDT
Alabama coach Anthony Grant has locked down yet another transfer for the future, this one in Longwood forward Michael Kessens, who announced his intentions to transfer after the resignation of former Lancers’ coach Mike Gillian.
The 6-9, 205-pound native of Switzerland will sit out the 2013-14 season and have three seasons of eligibility remaining.
The Lancers’ best all-around player, Kessens was second on the team in scoring (13.7 points) and led the team in rebounds (8.8 per game), blocks (42) and field goal percentage (53.7) on his way to being named a member of the Big South All-Freshman team. He also clocked 32.7 minutes per last season. He can obviously do a lot, and do it in a lot of minutes.
Kessens made the decision official in a tweet on Saturday.
Made the best decision, this school is the right for me #RollTide
— Michael K. Kessens (@MikeDoubleK) May 4, 2013
Kessens joins Tulane defector Ricky Tarrant on the Crimson Tide roster for 2014-15. Kessens did not begin playing basketball until his was 16, which is pretty amazing.
The Lancers finished 8-25 this past season, 4-12 in the Big South.
It’s always a gamble, taking transfers from teams that aren’t elite, in leagues that are essentially one-bid conferences. Sometimes this works out well (see: Curry, Seth), sometimes it doesn’t live up to all the expectations (see: Conley, Jason).
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 1
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 1
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 2
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 4
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 22
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 13
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (22)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)