May 6, 2013, 9:23 PM EDT
Alabama coach Anthony Grant has locked down yet another transfer for the future, this one in Longwood forward Michael Kessens, who announced his intentions to transfer after the resignation of former Lancers’ coach Mike Gillian.
The 6-9, 205-pound native of Switzerland will sit out the 2013-14 season and have three seasons of eligibility remaining.
The Lancers’ best all-around player, Kessens was second on the team in scoring (13.7 points) and led the team in rebounds (8.8 per game), blocks (42) and field goal percentage (53.7) on his way to being named a member of the Big South All-Freshman team. He also clocked 32.7 minutes per last season. He can obviously do a lot, and do it in a lot of minutes.
Kessens made the decision official in a tweet on Saturday.
Made the best decision, this school is the right for me #RollTide
— Michael K. Kessens (@MikeDoubleK) May 4, 2013
Kessens joins Tulane defector Ricky Tarrant on the Crimson Tide roster for 2014-15. Kessens did not begin playing basketball until his was 16, which is pretty amazing.
The Lancers finished 8-25 this past season, 4-12 in the Big South.
It’s always a gamble, taking transfers from teams that aren’t elite, in leagues that are essentially one-bid conferences. Sometimes this works out well (see: Curry, Seth), sometimes it doesn’t live up to all the expectations (see: Conley, Jason).
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)