May 6, 2013, 9:23 PM EDT
Alabama coach Anthony Grant has locked down yet another transfer for the future, this one in Longwood forward Michael Kessens, who announced his intentions to transfer after the resignation of former Lancers’ coach Mike Gillian.
The 6-9, 205-pound native of Switzerland will sit out the 2013-14 season and have three seasons of eligibility remaining.
The Lancers’ best all-around player, Kessens was second on the team in scoring (13.7 points) and led the team in rebounds (8.8 per game), blocks (42) and field goal percentage (53.7) on his way to being named a member of the Big South All-Freshman team. He also clocked 32.7 minutes per last season. He can obviously do a lot, and do it in a lot of minutes.
Kessens made the decision official in a tweet on Saturday.
Made the best decision, this school is the right for me #RollTide
— Michael K. Kessens (@MikeDoubleK) May 4, 2013
Kessens joins Tulane defector Ricky Tarrant on the Crimson Tide roster for 2014-15. Kessens did not begin playing basketball until his was 16, which is pretty amazing.
The Lancers finished 8-25 this past season, 4-12 in the Big South.
It’s always a gamble, taking transfers from teams that aren’t elite, in leagues that are essentially one-bid conferences. Sometimes this works out well (see: Curry, Seth), sometimes it doesn’t live up to all the expectations (see: Conley, Jason).
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)