May 6, 2013, 10:29 PM EDT
Assistant coach Eric Musselman has been promoted to associate head coach at Arizona State under head coach Herb Sendek.
Musselman has been on staff since the beginning of last season after being named the NBA D-League Coach of the Year with the Los Angeles D-fenders. He also spent two seasons as head coach of the Golden State Warriors and Sacramento Kings and has coached in the USBL and CBA.
Arizona State has promoted Eric Musselman to associate head coach, source told @cbssports. Well deserved. He’ll be a head coach soon.
— Gary Parrish (@GaryParrishCBS) May 6, 2013
Recently, Musselman was the head coach of the Venezuelan National Team in 2012. His job with the Sun Devils is his first in the collegiate ranks.
Musselman made a meteoric rise in the coaching ranks in the pros and there’s been a lot of talk that he’d fit in well with the college style. Musselman is partially responsible for the development of Jahii Carson and the surprise run Arizona State had this past season — going 22-13 after a 10-21 year in 2011-12 and making their first postseason appearance since 2009 with an NIT bid.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 1
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)