May 6, 2013, 10:29 PM EDT
Assistant coach Eric Musselman has been promoted to associate head coach at Arizona State under head coach Herb Sendek.
Musselman has been on staff since the beginning of last season after being named the NBA D-League Coach of the Year with the Los Angeles D-fenders. He also spent two seasons as head coach of the Golden State Warriors and Sacramento Kings and has coached in the USBL and CBA.
Arizona State has promoted Eric Musselman to associate head coach, source told @cbssports. Well deserved. He’ll be a head coach soon.
— Gary Parrish (@GaryParrishCBS) May 6, 2013
Recently, Musselman was the head coach of the Venezuelan National Team in 2012. His job with the Sun Devils is his first in the collegiate ranks.
Musselman made a meteoric rise in the coaching ranks in the pros and there’s been a lot of talk that he’d fit in well with the college style. Musselman is partially responsible for the development of Jahii Carson and the surprise run Arizona State had this past season — going 22-13 after a 10-21 year in 2011-12 and making their first postseason appearance since 2009 with an NIT bid.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)