May 6, 2013, 10:29 PM EDT
Assistant coach Eric Musselman has been promoted to associate head coach at Arizona State under head coach Herb Sendek.
Musselman has been on staff since the beginning of last season after being named the NBA D-League Coach of the Year with the Los Angeles D-fenders. He also spent two seasons as head coach of the Golden State Warriors and Sacramento Kings and has coached in the USBL and CBA.
Arizona State has promoted Eric Musselman to associate head coach, source told @cbssports. Well deserved. He’ll be a head coach soon.
— Gary Parrish (@GaryParrishCBS) May 6, 2013
Recently, Musselman was the head coach of the Venezuelan National Team in 2012. His job with the Sun Devils is his first in the collegiate ranks.
Musselman made a meteoric rise in the coaching ranks in the pros and there’s been a lot of talk that he’d fit in well with the college style. Musselman is partially responsible for the development of Jahii Carson and the surprise run Arizona State had this past season — going 22-13 after a 10-21 year in 2011-12 and making their first postseason appearance since 2009 with an NIT bid.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 3
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)