May 6, 2013, 10:29 PM EDT
Assistant coach Eric Musselman has been promoted to associate head coach at Arizona State under head coach Herb Sendek.
Musselman has been on staff since the beginning of last season after being named the NBA D-League Coach of the Year with the Los Angeles D-fenders. He also spent two seasons as head coach of the Golden State Warriors and Sacramento Kings and has coached in the USBL and CBA.
Arizona State has promoted Eric Musselman to associate head coach, source told @cbssports. Well deserved. He’ll be a head coach soon.
— Gary Parrish (@GaryParrishCBS) May 6, 2013
Recently, Musselman was the head coach of the Venezuelan National Team in 2012. His job with the Sun Devils is his first in the collegiate ranks.
Musselman made a meteoric rise in the coaching ranks in the pros and there’s been a lot of talk that he’d fit in well with the college style. Musselman is partially responsible for the development of Jahii Carson and the surprise run Arizona State had this past season — going 22-13 after a 10-21 year in 2011-12 and making their first postseason appearance since 2009 with an NIT bid.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)