May 6, 2013, 10:29 PM EST
Assistant coach Eric Musselman has been promoted to associate head coach at Arizona State under head coach Herb Sendek.
Musselman has been on staff since the beginning of last season after being named the NBA D-League Coach of the Year with the Los Angeles D-fenders. He also spent two seasons as head coach of the Golden State Warriors and Sacramento Kings and has coached in the USBL and CBA.
Arizona State has promoted Eric Musselman to associate head coach, source told @cbssports. Well deserved. He’ll be a head coach soon.
— Gary Parrish (@GaryParrishCBS) May 6, 2013
Recently, Musselman was the head coach of the Venezuelan National Team in 2012. His job with the Sun Devils is his first in the collegiate ranks.
Musselman made a meteoric rise in the coaching ranks in the pros and there’s been a lot of talk that he’d fit in well with the college style. Musselman is partially responsible for the development of Jahii Carson and the surprise run Arizona State had this past season — going 22-13 after a 10-21 year in 2011-12 and making their first postseason appearance since 2009 with an NIT bid.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)