May 6, 2013, 7:32 PM EST
In the past few days, allegations of agents paying former Kansas guard Ben McLemore’s AAU coach have forced a review of McLemore’s eligibility. But there isn’t much the university is saying.
The Associated Press is reporting that Kansas Athletic Director Sheahon Zenger issued a statement on Monday, vaguely addressing the issue at hand. Zenger would only say that the school had received an inquiry into the allegations involving the coach, Darius Cobb, and the agent, Rodney Blackstock, but that’s about it.
“We are not in a position to comment further at this time,” Zenger said. A spokesman with the university declined further comment on Monday.
Cobb alleges that he received two $10,000 payments from Blackstock, Founder and CEO of Hooplife Academy in Greensboro, N.C. Blackstock attended three Kansas games with tickets left to him in McLemore’s name.
As his coach, Cobb said he was attempting to act as a shield for McLemore to keep him “pure”, according to previous reports.
Predictably, this is what you’d expect from a school with allegations like this. Also, it seems that it will all depend on if McLemore was given any of this money, any additional money or received any benefits from these payments.
McLemore was selected as a second team All-American as a redshirt freshman, averaging 15.9 points and 5.2 rebounds for the Jayhawks this past season. He is projected as an NBA Draft Lottery pick.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)