May 6, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
In the past few days, allegations of agents paying former Kansas guard Ben McLemore’s AAU coach have forced a review of McLemore’s eligibility. But there isn’t much the university is saying.
The Associated Press is reporting that Kansas Athletic Director Sheahon Zenger issued a statement on Monday, vaguely addressing the issue at hand. Zenger would only say that the school had received an inquiry into the allegations involving the coach, Darius Cobb, and the agent, Rodney Blackstock, but that’s about it.
“We are not in a position to comment further at this time,” Zenger said. A spokesman with the university declined further comment on Monday.
Cobb alleges that he received two $10,000 payments from Blackstock, Founder and CEO of Hooplife Academy in Greensboro, N.C. Blackstock attended three Kansas games with tickets left to him in McLemore’s name.
As his coach, Cobb said he was attempting to act as a shield for McLemore to keep him “pure”, according to previous reports.
Predictably, this is what you’d expect from a school with allegations like this. Also, it seems that it will all depend on if McLemore was given any of this money, any additional money or received any benefits from these payments.
McLemore was selected as a second team All-American as a redshirt freshman, averaging 15.9 points and 5.2 rebounds for the Jayhawks this past season. He is projected as an NBA Draft Lottery pick.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)