May 6, 2013, 7:32 PM EST
In the past few days, allegations of agents paying former Kansas guard Ben McLemore’s AAU coach have forced a review of McLemore’s eligibility. But there isn’t much the university is saying.
The Associated Press is reporting that Kansas Athletic Director Sheahon Zenger issued a statement on Monday, vaguely addressing the issue at hand. Zenger would only say that the school had received an inquiry into the allegations involving the coach, Darius Cobb, and the agent, Rodney Blackstock, but that’s about it.
“We are not in a position to comment further at this time,” Zenger said. A spokesman with the university declined further comment on Monday.
Cobb alleges that he received two $10,000 payments from Blackstock, Founder and CEO of Hooplife Academy in Greensboro, N.C. Blackstock attended three Kansas games with tickets left to him in McLemore’s name.
As his coach, Cobb said he was attempting to act as a shield for McLemore to keep him “pure”, according to previous reports.
Predictably, this is what you’d expect from a school with allegations like this. Also, it seems that it will all depend on if McLemore was given any of this money, any additional money or received any benefits from these payments.
McLemore was selected as a second team All-American as a redshirt freshman, averaging 15.9 points and 5.2 rebounds for the Jayhawks this past season. He is projected as an NBA Draft Lottery pick.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 0
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)