May 6, 2013, 7:32 PM EST
In the past few days, allegations of agents paying former Kansas guard Ben McLemore’s AAU coach have forced a review of McLemore’s eligibility. But there isn’t much the university is saying.
The Associated Press is reporting that Kansas Athletic Director Sheahon Zenger issued a statement on Monday, vaguely addressing the issue at hand. Zenger would only say that the school had received an inquiry into the allegations involving the coach, Darius Cobb, and the agent, Rodney Blackstock, but that’s about it.
“We are not in a position to comment further at this time,” Zenger said. A spokesman with the university declined further comment on Monday.
Cobb alleges that he received two $10,000 payments from Blackstock, Founder and CEO of Hooplife Academy in Greensboro, N.C. Blackstock attended three Kansas games with tickets left to him in McLemore’s name.
As his coach, Cobb said he was attempting to act as a shield for McLemore to keep him “pure”, according to previous reports.
Predictably, this is what you’d expect from a school with allegations like this. Also, it seems that it will all depend on if McLemore was given any of this money, any additional money or received any benefits from these payments.
McLemore was selected as a second team All-American as a redshirt freshman, averaging 15.9 points and 5.2 rebounds for the Jayhawks this past season. He is projected as an NBA Draft Lottery pick.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Dec 17, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
Defense and turnovers will be the keys for Texas when Big 12 play begins.
Dec 17, 2014, 5:56 PM EST
After shooting 40.7% from the field and 29.4% from three as a sophomore, Anderson’s off to a hot start for the sixth-ranked Cavaliers.
Dec 17, 2014, 4:26 PM EST
With these dismissals Dayton has no eligible players taller than 6-foot-6.
Dec 17, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
This may be the most interesting night of hoops this week.
Dec 17, 2014, 3:44 PM EST
What changes will Kansas make to get better by March?
Dec 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
They are so short-handed that even the head coach is participating in practices.
Dec 17, 2014, 1:53 PM EST
Treadwell was accused of assaulting a member of the women’s team.
Dec 17, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell broke his right hand in a win over DePaul.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:16 AM EST
The Shockers miss Cleanthony Early, but how much will this hurt them in the long-term?
Dec 17, 2014, 10:33 AM EST
This is one of the most surprising posterizeds we’ve seen this year.
Dec 17, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Michigan State lost a lot of talent and experience from a title contender last season, but they’ve remained a top 25 team thanks to tremendous three-point shooting.
Dec 17, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Who doesn’t love buzzer-beaters, especially when they’re from half court?
Dec 17, 2014, 12:58 AM EST
That’s one heartbreaking way to lose a game.
Late Night Snacks: Wichita State mounts furious comeback on Alabama, Myles Turner has big night for Texas
Dec 16, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Myles Turner has a monster night.
Dec 16, 2014, 11:49 PM EST
Wichita State found a way to win in a thrilling home game against Alabama.
Dec 16, 2014, 10:10 PM EST
Creighton will be without a reserve guard for an undetermined period of time.
Dec 16, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
Duke will add the son of a former NBA legend to its roster in 2015-16.
Dec 16, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
Houston should get a major boost to its lineup this weekend with the return of its starting point guard.
Dec 16, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Iowa State is losing a guard that didn’t fit into the rotation.
Dec 16, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Texas is already without Isaiah Taylor and lost more guard depth on Tuesday.
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 0
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)