May 6, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Nerlens Noel had a special guest with him at the Kentucky Derby this weekend: Kelly Melton, a seven-year old Kentucky boy currently battling leukemia.
Noel has gotten to know Melton during visits to the Kentucky Children’s Hospital during his time in Lexington, enough so that Noel invited Kelly down to come to the Derby with him.
I’m a sucker for stories like this. Who doesn’t love seeing athletes give back to their community, especially when that giving back entails making the memory of a lifetime for a kid battling leukemia.
The friendship, hopefully, will go both ways.
Because I think Nerlens could learn a thing or two from Kelly when it comes to clothes, as he’s clearly the better-dressed of the two.
- Should Virginia be the fourth one-seed? 5
- 2014 NCAA Tournament Midwest Region: Instant Analysis 8
- 2014 NCAA Tournament East Region: Instant Analysis 3
- 2014 NCAA Tournament West Region: Instant Analysis 3
- 2014 NCAA Tournament South Region: Instant Analysis 9
- Florida, Wichita State, Arizona, Virginia claim No. 1 seeds 2
- Final Bracketology: Florida is your overall No. 1 seed 4
- Was Duke’s Rodney Hood fouled by Clemson? You make the call (VIDEO) (21)
- Bracketology: Final No. 1 seed still a question mark (16)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Big Ten Tournament: Michigan survives furious Ohio State comeback (9)
- 2014 NCAA Tournament South Region: Instant Analysis (9)