May 6, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Nerlens Noel had a special guest with him at the Kentucky Derby this weekend: Kelly Melton, a seven-year old Kentucky boy currently battling leukemia.
Noel has gotten to know Melton during visits to the Kentucky Children’s Hospital during his time in Lexington, enough so that Noel invited Kelly down to come to the Derby with him.
I’m a sucker for stories like this. Who doesn’t love seeing athletes give back to their community, especially when that giving back entails making the memory of a lifetime for a kid battling leukemia.
The friendship, hopefully, will go both ways.
Because I think Nerlens could learn a thing or two from Kelly when it comes to clothes, as he’s clearly the better-dressed of the two.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (17)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)