May 6, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Nerlens Noel had a special guest with him at the Kentucky Derby this weekend: Kelly Melton, a seven-year old Kentucky boy currently battling leukemia.
Noel has gotten to know Melton during visits to the Kentucky Children’s Hospital during his time in Lexington, enough so that Noel invited Kelly down to come to the Derby with him.
I’m a sucker for stories like this. Who doesn’t love seeing athletes give back to their community, especially when that giving back entails making the memory of a lifetime for a kid battling leukemia.
The friendship, hopefully, will go both ways.
Because I think Nerlens could learn a thing or two from Kelly when it comes to clothes, as he’s clearly the better-dressed of the two.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 0
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)