May 6, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Nerlens Noel had a special guest with him at the Kentucky Derby this weekend: Kelly Melton, a seven-year old Kentucky boy currently battling leukemia.
Noel has gotten to know Melton during visits to the Kentucky Children’s Hospital during his time in Lexington, enough so that Noel invited Kelly down to come to the Derby with him.
I’m a sucker for stories like this. Who doesn’t love seeing athletes give back to their community, especially when that giving back entails making the memory of a lifetime for a kid battling leukemia.
The friendship, hopefully, will go both ways.
Because I think Nerlens could learn a thing or two from Kelly when it comes to clothes, as he’s clearly the better-dressed of the two.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)