May 6, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
With freshman forward Steven Adams deciding to enter the NBA Draft after one season at Pittsburgh, coach Jamie Dixon is now on the hunt to find more post players.
Joseph Uchebo, who averaged 12.3 points and 12.3 rebounds this past season at Chipola (Fla.) Junior College, has pledged his commitment to the Panthers. He was also being recruited heavily by Minnesota. The 6-11 Uchebo, who prepped at Word of God (N.C.) Academy, committed to North Carolina State before taking the junior college route.
Joseph Uchebo (6-11/C/2013) of Chipola has signed with Pitt per assistant coach @bpfoley24
— Brad Winton (@JucoRecruiting) May 6, 2013
Uchebo spent the early part of this past season rehabbing a knee injury and has battled it throughout his college career. He is said to be 100-percent healthy now and appeared in 21 games in 2012-13.
He’s a decent pick-up for the Panthers, who, along with losing Adams’ 7.1 points and 6.3 rebounds per game, also losing Dante Taylor to graduation and Malcolm Gilbert to transfer. The Panthers get Talib Zanna back and incoming freshman Michael Young enters the fold in the frontcourt as well.
Here’s some old film on Uchebo, a native of Nigeria, from his college days.
Follow David Harten at @David_Harten
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)