May 6, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
With freshman forward Steven Adams deciding to enter the NBA Draft after one season at Pittsburgh, coach Jamie Dixon is now on the hunt to find more post players.
Joseph Uchebo, who averaged 12.3 points and 12.3 rebounds this past season at Chipola (Fla.) Junior College, has pledged his commitment to the Panthers. He was also being recruited heavily by Minnesota. The 6-11 Uchebo, who prepped at Word of God (N.C.) Academy, committed to North Carolina State before taking the junior college route.
Joseph Uchebo (6-11/C/2013) of Chipola has signed with Pitt per assistant coach @bpfoley24
— Brad Winton (@JucoRecruiting) May 6, 2013
Uchebo spent the early part of this past season rehabbing a knee injury and has battled it throughout his college career. He is said to be 100-percent healthy now and appeared in 21 games in 2012-13.
He’s a decent pick-up for the Panthers, who, along with losing Adams’ 7.1 points and 6.3 rebounds per game, also losing Dante Taylor to graduation and Malcolm Gilbert to transfer. The Panthers get Talib Zanna back and incoming freshman Michael Young enters the fold in the frontcourt as well.
Here’s some old film on Uchebo, a native of Nigeria, from his college days.
Follow David Harten at @David_Harten
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)