May 6, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
With freshman forward Steven Adams deciding to enter the NBA Draft after one season at Pittsburgh, coach Jamie Dixon is now on the hunt to find more post players.
Joseph Uchebo, who averaged 12.3 points and 12.3 rebounds this past season at Chipola (Fla.) Junior College, has pledged his commitment to the Panthers. He was also being recruited heavily by Minnesota. The 6-11 Uchebo, who prepped at Word of God (N.C.) Academy, committed to North Carolina State before taking the junior college route.
Joseph Uchebo (6-11/C/2013) of Chipola has signed with Pitt per assistant coach @bpfoley24
— Brad Winton (@JucoRecruiting) May 6, 2013
Uchebo spent the early part of this past season rehabbing a knee injury and has battled it throughout his college career. He is said to be 100-percent healthy now and appeared in 21 games in 2012-13.
He’s a decent pick-up for the Panthers, who, along with losing Adams’ 7.1 points and 6.3 rebounds per game, also losing Dante Taylor to graduation and Malcolm Gilbert to transfer. The Panthers get Talib Zanna back and incoming freshman Michael Young enters the fold in the frontcourt as well.
Here’s some old film on Uchebo, a native of Nigeria, from his college days.
Follow David Harten at @David_Harten
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 0
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Players 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 2
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role (2)