May 6, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
With freshman forward Steven Adams deciding to enter the NBA Draft after one season at Pittsburgh, coach Jamie Dixon is now on the hunt to find more post players.
Joseph Uchebo, who averaged 12.3 points and 12.3 rebounds this past season at Chipola (Fla.) Junior College, has pledged his commitment to the Panthers. He was also being recruited heavily by Minnesota. The 6-11 Uchebo, who prepped at Word of God (N.C.) Academy, committed to North Carolina State before taking the junior college route.
Joseph Uchebo (6-11/C/2013) of Chipola has signed with Pitt per assistant coach @bpfoley24
— Brad Winton (@JucoRecruiting) May 6, 2013
Uchebo spent the early part of this past season rehabbing a knee injury and has battled it throughout his college career. He is said to be 100-percent healthy now and appeared in 21 games in 2012-13.
He’s a decent pick-up for the Panthers, who, along with losing Adams’ 7.1 points and 6.3 rebounds per game, also losing Dante Taylor to graduation and Malcolm Gilbert to transfer. The Panthers get Talib Zanna back and incoming freshman Michael Young enters the fold in the frontcourt as well.
Here’s some old film on Uchebo, a native of Nigeria, from his college days.
Follow David Harten at @David_Harten
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)