May 6, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Travon Landry and Tennessee parted ways over the weekend, and the three-star point guard has already signed with New Mexico State.
“We are pleased to welcome Travon Landry to the Aggie nation,” head coach Marvin Menzies said in a release. “Travon is a tenacious defender and competitor. Playing on one of the top high school teams in the United States last year, Travon brings a winning resume and attitude to the program. Increasing competition in practice is a must when developing a top-tier Division I men’s basketball program, and we’re optimistic that with this year’s additions the atmosphere of practice will be at a very high level.”
With Jarnell Stokes returning to school and Jeronne Maymon redshirting last season, the Vols had 14 scholarship players on the books for next season. Landry, who played for Huntington Prep this past season, became the odd-man out as he was released from his Letter of Intent.
Landry had been committed to the program since December of 2011.
Landry is a three-star recruit and a point guard that averaged 2.8 points and 2.7 assists while shooting 2-29 from three last season for Huntington Prep, the same high school that Andrew Wiggins currently attends.
(Image via Rivals)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)