May 6, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Travon Landry and Tennessee parted ways over the weekend, and the three-star point guard has already signed with New Mexico State.
“We are pleased to welcome Travon Landry to the Aggie nation,” head coach Marvin Menzies said in a release. “Travon is a tenacious defender and competitor. Playing on one of the top high school teams in the United States last year, Travon brings a winning resume and attitude to the program. Increasing competition in practice is a must when developing a top-tier Division I men’s basketball program, and we’re optimistic that with this year’s additions the atmosphere of practice will be at a very high level.”
With Jarnell Stokes returning to school and Jeronne Maymon redshirting last season, the Vols had 14 scholarship players on the books for next season. Landry, who played for Huntington Prep this past season, became the odd-man out as he was released from his Letter of Intent.
Landry had been committed to the program since December of 2011.
Landry is a three-star recruit and a point guard that averaged 2.8 points and 2.7 assists while shooting 2-29 from three last season for Huntington Prep, the same high school that Andrew Wiggins currently attends.
(Image via Rivals)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)