May 6, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Travon Landry and Tennessee parted ways over the weekend, and the three-star point guard has already signed with New Mexico State.
“We are pleased to welcome Travon Landry to the Aggie nation,” head coach Marvin Menzies said in a release. “Travon is a tenacious defender and competitor. Playing on one of the top high school teams in the United States last year, Travon brings a winning resume and attitude to the program. Increasing competition in practice is a must when developing a top-tier Division I men’s basketball program, and we’re optimistic that with this year’s additions the atmosphere of practice will be at a very high level.”
With Jarnell Stokes returning to school and Jeronne Maymon redshirting last season, the Vols had 14 scholarship players on the books for next season. Landry, who played for Huntington Prep this past season, became the odd-man out as he was released from his Letter of Intent.
Landry had been committed to the program since December of 2011.
Landry is a three-star recruit and a point guard that averaged 2.8 points and 2.7 assists while shooting 2-29 from three last season for Huntington Prep, the same high school that Andrew Wiggins currently attends.
(Image via Rivals)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Maryland transfer eligible this season at Georgia Tech (3)
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)