May 6, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
Matt Painter has landed his first recruit in the Class of 2014, as Dakota Mathias pledged to the Boilermakers over the weekend.
Mathias is a 6-foot-4 shooting guard from Ohio. He’s rated as a three-star recruit, according to Rivals.
“According to the coaches, I’m a very big need,” Mathias told the Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette. “They want guys with some skill, some high IQ guys. I think I bring that: A little versatility, can shoot it a little bit and pass the ball, just make smart decisions.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Memphis loss shouldn’t feed narrative about Josh Pastner, big games 0
- Casey Prather’s star turn a boon for Florida 0
- South Florida holds on as Florida Gulf Coast’s buzzer-beater in double overtime doesn’t count (VIDEO) 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings: Shabazz tops the list again 1
- College Hoops Week in Review: Hello Princeton, and some Brandon Ashley love 1
- Report: Former North Carolina guard Will Graves arrested on drug charges at home owned by head coach Roy Williams (20)
- Kentucky is a flawed team, but does that mean they can’t contend? (12)
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate (5)
- Difference between Kentucky, ’12 title team: role players? (5)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)