May 7, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
Baylor received another commitment to its Class of 2013 on Tuesday afternoon when shooting guard Allerik Freeman (Findlay Prep/Charlotte, N.C.) committed to the Bears.
Evan Daniels of Scout reported the news just before 4 p.m. on Twitter.
Allerik Freeman just informed Scout that he has committed to Baylor.
— Evan Daniels (@EvanDanielsFOX) May 7, 2013
The 6-foot-4 Freeman was originally committed to UCLA, but reopened his recruitment on April 24 after getting his release from the Bruins. Freeman was looking at Baylor, Xavier and Minnesota when he restarted his recruitment.
He joins small forward Ishmail Wainright (Montrose Christian/Raytown, Mo.), center Dominic Woodson (Huntington Prep/Round Rock, Texas), power forward Johnathan Motley (North Shore High/Houston, Texas) and point guard Kenny Chery (State Fair Community College/Montreal, Quebec) in the Bears incoming class.
It was largely believed that Freeman decommitted from UCLA because it appeared he wouldn’t get much playing time at shooting guard or would force to transition to a role as a point guard. At Baylor he should be able to compete for minutes, especially when the Bears lose leading scorer Pierre Jackson.
Baylor will need to replace the 19.8 points per game Jackson averaged last season. Freeman can help make up for some of that lost production playing on the wing for Baylor next season along with the outside shooting of Brady Heslip.
With the return of big men Isaiah Austin and Cory Jefferson, the big question for Baylor is who takes over at the point guard position. If Chery, Gary Franklin or L.J. Rose can rise to the occassion as Baylor’s ball handler, the Bears have a promising upcoming season in following of a disappointing 2012-2013 campaign.
Oklahoma State should still be considered the conference favorite heading into next season, but Baylor is putting itself in a good position in the Big 12.
Following Freeman’s announcement, only one player in Rivals150 for the Class of 2013 remains undecided. Andrew Wiggins.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)