May 7, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
Baylor received another commitment to its Class of 2013 on Tuesday afternoon when shooting guard Allerik Freeman (Findlay Prep/Charlotte, N.C.) committed to the Bears.
Evan Daniels of Scout reported the news just before 4 p.m. on Twitter.
Allerik Freeman just informed Scout that he has committed to Baylor.
— Evan Daniels (@EvanDanielsFOX) May 7, 2013
The 6-foot-4 Freeman was originally committed to UCLA, but reopened his recruitment on April 24 after getting his release from the Bruins. Freeman was looking at Baylor, Xavier and Minnesota when he restarted his recruitment.
He joins small forward Ishmail Wainright (Montrose Christian/Raytown, Mo.), center Dominic Woodson (Huntington Prep/Round Rock, Texas), power forward Johnathan Motley (North Shore High/Houston, Texas) and point guard Kenny Chery (State Fair Community College/Montreal, Quebec) in the Bears incoming class.
It was largely believed that Freeman decommitted from UCLA because it appeared he wouldn’t get much playing time at shooting guard or would force to transition to a role as a point guard. At Baylor he should be able to compete for minutes, especially when the Bears lose leading scorer Pierre Jackson.
Baylor will need to replace the 19.8 points per game Jackson averaged last season. Freeman can help make up for some of that lost production playing on the wing for Baylor next season along with the outside shooting of Brady Heslip.
With the return of big men Isaiah Austin and Cory Jefferson, the big question for Baylor is who takes over at the point guard position. If Chery, Gary Franklin or L.J. Rose can rise to the occassion as Baylor’s ball handler, the Bears have a promising upcoming season in following of a disappointing 2012-2013 campaign.
Oklahoma State should still be considered the conference favorite heading into next season, but Baylor is putting itself in a good position in the Big 12.
Following Freeman’s announcement, only one player in Rivals150 for the Class of 2013 remains undecided. Andrew Wiggins.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (5)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)