May 7, 2013, 4:09 PM EST
Baylor received another commitment to its Class of 2013 on Tuesday afternoon when shooting guard Allerik Freeman (Findlay Prep/Charlotte, N.C.) committed to the Bears.
Evan Daniels of Scout reported the news just before 4 p.m. on Twitter.
Allerik Freeman just informed Scout that he has committed to Baylor.
— Evan Daniels (@EvanDanielsFOX) May 7, 2013
The 6-foot-4 Freeman was originally committed to UCLA, but reopened his recruitment on April 24 after getting his release from the Bruins. Freeman was looking at Baylor, Xavier and Minnesota when he restarted his recruitment.
He joins small forward Ishmail Wainright (Montrose Christian/Raytown, Mo.), center Dominic Woodson (Huntington Prep/Round Rock, Texas), power forward Johnathan Motley (North Shore High/Houston, Texas) and point guard Kenny Chery (State Fair Community College/Montreal, Quebec) in the Bears incoming class.
It was largely believed that Freeman decommitted from UCLA because it appeared he wouldn’t get much playing time at shooting guard or would force to transition to a role as a point guard. At Baylor he should be able to compete for minutes, especially when the Bears lose leading scorer Pierre Jackson.
Baylor will need to replace the 19.8 points per game Jackson averaged last season. Freeman can help make up for some of that lost production playing on the wing for Baylor next season along with the outside shooting of Brady Heslip.
With the return of big men Isaiah Austin and Cory Jefferson, the big question for Baylor is who takes over at the point guard position. If Chery, Gary Franklin or L.J. Rose can rise to the occassion as Baylor’s ball handler, the Bears have a promising upcoming season in following of a disappointing 2012-2013 campaign.
Oklahoma State should still be considered the conference favorite heading into next season, but Baylor is putting itself in a good position in the Big 12.
Following Freeman’s announcement, only one player in Rivals150 for the Class of 2013 remains undecided. Andrew Wiggins.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)