May 7, 2013, 9:45 PM EST
Craig Neal and New Mexico landed the best available junior college player Tuesday evening in Vincennes University (Ind.) wing Deshawn Delaney. He becomes the fourth recruit, second JuCo, to commit to the Lobos for the 2013-2014 season.
This latest commitment was announced by The Lobo Lair and later CBS Sports. Delaney had offers from New Mexico and Bradley, according to Rivals.com. He is ranked as the No. 12 overall player according to JuCoRecruiting.com.
Adding an athletic wing is big for New Mexico after losing Tony Snell to the NBA Draft. The 6-foot-7 Snell was second on the team in scoring with 12.6 points per game and shot 39 percent from behind the arc as a junior. The Lobos return leading scorer Kendall Williams and top rebounder Alex Kirk.
The 6-foot-4 Delaney averaged 15.8 point and 8.1 rebounds per game for the Trailblazers this season. Those numbers were down from his first year when he averaged 18.1 points and 9.2 rebounds per contest. Although he was the leading scorer during his two years at Vincennes, he only connected on 19 attempts in those two seasons. He did get to the line almost
Delaney joins a recruiting class that includes point guard Cullen Neal (Eldorado High/Albuquerque, N.M.), Craig Neal’s son, power forward Tim Myles (Etiwanda High/Etiwanda, Calif.) and JuCo small forward Arthur Edwards (Northwest Florida State College/Temple Hills, Md.)
Delaney played alongside Wichita State commit Darius Carter this season at Vincennes. The D1-bound duo lead the Trailblazers to the NJCAA Division I Final Four this season.
[UPDATE 10:21 p.m.: Delaney is actually the fifth UNM commit for next season, it’s all explained here in a post of Albuquerque Journal’s Geoff Grammer]
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)