May 7, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Craig Neal and New Mexico landed the best available junior college player Tuesday evening in Vincennes University (Ind.) wing Deshawn Delaney. He becomes the fourth recruit, second JuCo, to commit to the Lobos for the 2013-2014 season.
This latest commitment was announced by The Lobo Lair and later CBS Sports. Delaney had offers from New Mexico and Bradley, according to Rivals.com. He is ranked as the No. 12 overall player according to JuCoRecruiting.com.
Adding an athletic wing is big for New Mexico after losing Tony Snell to the NBA Draft. The 6-foot-7 Snell was second on the team in scoring with 12.6 points per game and shot 39 percent from behind the arc as a junior. The Lobos return leading scorer Kendall Williams and top rebounder Alex Kirk.
The 6-foot-4 Delaney averaged 15.8 point and 8.1 rebounds per game for the Trailblazers this season. Those numbers were down from his first year when he averaged 18.1 points and 9.2 rebounds per contest. Although he was the leading scorer during his two years at Vincennes, he only connected on 19 attempts in those two seasons. He did get to the line almost
Delaney joins a recruiting class that includes point guard Cullen Neal (Eldorado High/Albuquerque, N.M.), Craig Neal’s son, power forward Tim Myles (Etiwanda High/Etiwanda, Calif.) and JuCo small forward Arthur Edwards (Northwest Florida State College/Temple Hills, Md.)
Delaney played alongside Wichita State commit Darius Carter this season at Vincennes. The D1-bound duo lead the Trailblazers to the NJCAA Division I Final Four this season.
[UPDATE 10:21 p.m.: Delaney is actually the fifth UNM commit for next season, it’s all explained here in a post of Albuquerque Journal’s Geoff Grammer]
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)