May 7, 2013, 9:45 PM EST
Craig Neal and New Mexico landed the best available junior college player Tuesday evening in Vincennes University (Ind.) wing Deshawn Delaney. He becomes the fourth recruit, second JuCo, to commit to the Lobos for the 2013-2014 season.
This latest commitment was announced by The Lobo Lair and later CBS Sports. Delaney had offers from New Mexico and Bradley, according to Rivals.com. He is ranked as the No. 12 overall player according to JuCoRecruiting.com.
Adding an athletic wing is big for New Mexico after losing Tony Snell to the NBA Draft. The 6-foot-7 Snell was second on the team in scoring with 12.6 points per game and shot 39 percent from behind the arc as a junior. The Lobos return leading scorer Kendall Williams and top rebounder Alex Kirk.
The 6-foot-4 Delaney averaged 15.8 point and 8.1 rebounds per game for the Trailblazers this season. Those numbers were down from his first year when he averaged 18.1 points and 9.2 rebounds per contest. Although he was the leading scorer during his two years at Vincennes, he only connected on 19 attempts in those two seasons. He did get to the line almost
Delaney joins a recruiting class that includes point guard Cullen Neal (Eldorado High/Albuquerque, N.M.), Craig Neal’s son, power forward Tim Myles (Etiwanda High/Etiwanda, Calif.) and JuCo small forward Arthur Edwards (Northwest Florida State College/Temple Hills, Md.)
Delaney played alongside Wichita State commit Darius Carter this season at Vincennes. The D1-bound duo lead the Trailblazers to the NJCAA Division I Final Four this season.
[UPDATE 10:21 p.m.: Delaney is actually the fifth UNM commit for next season, it’s all explained here in a post of Albuquerque Journal’s Geoff Grammer]
Nov 20, 2014, 6:04 PM EST
More than sixty inches of snow have fallen in western New York this week, so it makes little sense to attempt to play a sporting event as scheduled.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EST
Arizona, Michigan State and Providence all reached last season’s NCAA tournament.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:32 PM EST
Who is the most clutch player in the country?
Nov 20, 2014, 2:37 PM EST
The 2014 Maui Invitational kicks off on Monday.
Nov 20, 2014, 1:57 PM EST
I cannot respect your intelligence if you think Kentucky beats Philly. I just can’t do it.
Nov 20, 2014, 1:29 PM EST
The last two years, Wichita State, UConn and Kentucky have all made the Final Four as teams seeded outside the top six.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
You have to love early morning basketball.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Sad: One of the sport’s most notorious coaches is struggling with his health.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:50 AM EST
All of today’s college hoops action.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
There’s more to Shaka Smart than meets the eye.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:32 AM EST
Will we ever see Butler’s head coach on the sideline again?
Nov 20, 2014, 1:05 AM EST
It was a quiet night on the college hoops front, but one ranked team went down.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:53 AM EST
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson was the spark plug for a team that has a lot of progress to make offensively.
Nov 19, 2014, 11:37 PM EST
Jakeenan Gant has yet to play in a game for Missouri.
Nov 19, 2014, 10:42 PM EST
Now that is hops.
Nov 19, 2014, 10:37 PM EST
This is a huge win for Creighton and for the Big East as a whole.
Nov 19, 2014, 9:22 PM EST
Come on, Toby.
Nov 19, 2014, 8:57 PM EST
Apologies won’t get Tom Crean off the hot seat, but at least they acknowledged their mistakes.
Nov 19, 2014, 5:48 PM EST
Derek Ogbeide’s been praised for his ability as a defender and rebounder, areas Georgia will need to address with two of their front court mainstays being seniors.
Nov 19, 2014, 4:33 PM EST
It’s not the same as last night, but there are some good basketball games scheduled for Wednesday.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 17
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (17)
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can the ACC produce four Final Four teams? (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Report: Kansas transfer Conner Frankamp considering Colorado, Wichita State (3)