May 7, 2013, 8:08 PM EST
Creighton left the Missouri Valley Conference to join the Catholic 7, Xavier and Butler to form the new Big East. To fill that void the MVC acquired Loyola (Ill.) from the Horizon League. And now the Horizon League found Loyola’s replacement in Oakland University.
The university’s board of trustees voted to accept the Horizon League’s invitation on Tuesday and it became official. The Golden Grizzlies will be members on July 1, 2013. Oakland had been a member of the Summit League since 1997.
“Oakland University is the perfect fit at the perfect time for the Horizon League,” Commissioner Jonathan B. LeCrone in a statement. “They bring a well-respected and growing athletics program and we are adding a university that is aspirational. We look forward to working with President Gary Russi, Athletics Director Tracy Huth and his staff on behalf of the student-athletes. This is an exciting beginning to our external growth plan.”
“Oakland University is pleased to be the newest member of the Horizon League,” added Russi. “The universities in this conference are strong academically and they value the student-athlete experience. Oakland fits well with them and we look forward to being part of their tradition of excellence.”
The move makes sense for Oakland geographically in addition to athletics.
“Moving to the Horizon allows us to associate and compete with institutions with outstanding academic profiles and values,” said Huth. “They value the experience of the student-athlete. It also gives us the opportunity to play University of Detroit Mercy on a regular basis for some spirited Metro Detroit competition.”
Oakland finished 16-17 (10-6 Summit League) this past season, ending the 2012-2013 campaign in the first round of the CBI. The Golden Grizzlies did have a key win over conference foe South Dakota State on Feb. 9.
Oakland joins the Horizon League that had three teams win 20 or more games this year with Valparaiso earning the league’s automatic NCAA tournament bid.
Oakland has made tournament appearances in 2005, 2011 and 2012.
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 0
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)