May 7, 2013, 12:45 PM EST
We may finally be nearing a decision in the Andrew Wiggins sweepstakes.
Wiggins is the best hoops prospect to come thru the high school ranks since Kevin Durant, and possibly since LeBron was still a prep. He’s a freakishly athletic, 6-foot-7 wing that has enough perimeter skill that he may end up being a shooting guard at the next level.
It’s no wonder that every school in the country wants him, but making a decision on where to spend his one-and-done season has not been easy for Wiggins. Kentucky, Florida State, Kansas and North Carolina are all still in the mix, and no one seems to really have a clue what Andrew is thinking.
But we may, finally, have a time table.
Wiggins is from Toronto, but he goes to school at Huntington Prep in West Virginia. And in an interview with the Louisville Courier-Journal on Monday, his host mother dropped some hints:
Lesley Thomas said she still does not know the exact date of Wiggins’ reveal, but there are signs that it could be quite soon. Wiggins told her that his mother, Marita Payne-Wiggins, is planning to come to West Virginia from Canada to support his announcement. Thomas said that would be “sometime in the next week or so.”
“He said, ‘When I declare where I’m going, my mom is going to be there with me,” Thomas said.
The deadline to sign a letter of intent is May 15th, but if Wiggins waits until after the deadline, he can still sign scholarship papers.
In the meantime, it seems as if Wiggins is passing the days as a normal high school student would. He took over the dance floor at his prom. He played some wiffle ball and he saw Iron Man 3. Oh, and he spent Monday at Walmart.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game 0
- Colorado needs game-winner to serve as a catalyst for Askia Booker (VIDEO) 0
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again 2
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games 4
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings (2)
- Late Night Snacks: UConn and Florida go down to the wire (2)