May 7, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
We may finally be nearing a decision in the Andrew Wiggins sweepstakes.
Wiggins is the best hoops prospect to come thru the high school ranks since Kevin Durant, and possibly since LeBron was still a prep. He’s a freakishly athletic, 6-foot-7 wing that has enough perimeter skill that he may end up being a shooting guard at the next level.
It’s no wonder that every school in the country wants him, but making a decision on where to spend his one-and-done season has not been easy for Wiggins. Kentucky, Florida State, Kansas and North Carolina are all still in the mix, and no one seems to really have a clue what Andrew is thinking.
But we may, finally, have a time table.
Wiggins is from Toronto, but he goes to school at Huntington Prep in West Virginia. And in an interview with the Louisville Courier-Journal on Monday, his host mother dropped some hints:
Lesley Thomas said she still does not know the exact date of Wiggins’ reveal, but there are signs that it could be quite soon. Wiggins told her that his mother, Marita Payne-Wiggins, is planning to come to West Virginia from Canada to support his announcement. Thomas said that would be “sometime in the next week or so.”
“He said, ‘When I declare where I’m going, my mom is going to be there with me,” Thomas said.
The deadline to sign a letter of intent is May 15th, but if Wiggins waits until after the deadline, he can still sign scholarship papers.
In the meantime, it seems as if Wiggins is passing the days as a normal high school student would. He took over the dance floor at his prom. He played some wiffle ball and he saw Iron Man 3. Oh, and he spent Monday at Walmart.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 3
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)