May 7, 2013, 12:45 PM EST
We may finally be nearing a decision in the Andrew Wiggins sweepstakes.
Wiggins is the best hoops prospect to come thru the high school ranks since Kevin Durant, and possibly since LeBron was still a prep. He’s a freakishly athletic, 6-foot-7 wing that has enough perimeter skill that he may end up being a shooting guard at the next level.
It’s no wonder that every school in the country wants him, but making a decision on where to spend his one-and-done season has not been easy for Wiggins. Kentucky, Florida State, Kansas and North Carolina are all still in the mix, and no one seems to really have a clue what Andrew is thinking.
But we may, finally, have a time table.
Wiggins is from Toronto, but he goes to school at Huntington Prep in West Virginia. And in an interview with the Louisville Courier-Journal on Monday, his host mother dropped some hints:
Lesley Thomas said she still does not know the exact date of Wiggins’ reveal, but there are signs that it could be quite soon. Wiggins told her that his mother, Marita Payne-Wiggins, is planning to come to West Virginia from Canada to support his announcement. Thomas said that would be “sometime in the next week or so.”
“He said, ‘When I declare where I’m going, my mom is going to be there with me,” Thomas said.
The deadline to sign a letter of intent is May 15th, but if Wiggins waits until after the deadline, he can still sign scholarship papers.
In the meantime, it seems as if Wiggins is passing the days as a normal high school student would. He took over the dance floor at his prom. He played some wiffle ball and he saw Iron Man 3. Oh, and he spent Monday at Walmart.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)