May 7, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT
The Atlantic 10 Conference made another move in conference realignment on Tuesday, adding another program to replace four departing schools.
On Tuesday, a source confirmed to ESPN’s Andy Katz that Davidson will join the Atlantic 10 for the 2014-2015 season. In April, it was reported that the A-10 was looking to add the Wildcats, three weeks later it has become the second team this offseason to agree to join the A-10.
The Southern Conference has been ripped apart by conference realignment this season, losing Appalachian State and Georgia Southern to the Sun Belt Conference in March. That news happened four months after the College of Charleston announced it would join the CAA at the beginning of the 2013-2014 season. Davidson was approached by the CAA to switch leagues in October, but elected to stay in the SoCon.
The Atlantic 10 has already added George Mason from the CAA for the upcoming season, giving the conference 13 members for next season. The A-10 loses Butler and Xavier to the new Big East while Charlotte heads back to Conference USA and Temple moves to the American Athletic Conference.
Davidson ended last season with a 17-1 conference record, defeated College of Charleston in the Southern Conference tournament final.
The Davidson Athletics website posted that a special announcement will be made at a Wednesday morning press conference. No real surprise what that will be following ESPN’s report. The move will officially be announced at 10:30 a.m. at the Baker Sports Complex.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)