May 7, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
The Atlantic 10 Conference made another move in conference realignment on Tuesday, adding another program to replace four departing schools.
On Tuesday, a source confirmed to ESPN’s Andy Katz that Davidson will join the Atlantic 10 for the 2014-2015 season. In April, it was reported that the A-10 was looking to add the Wildcats, three weeks later it has become the second team this offseason to agree to join the A-10.
The Southern Conference has been ripped apart by conference realignment this season, losing Appalachian State and Georgia Southern to the Sun Belt Conference in March. That news happened four months after the College of Charleston announced it would join the CAA at the beginning of the 2013-2014 season. Davidson was approached by the CAA to switch leagues in October, but elected to stay in the SoCon.
The Atlantic 10 has already added George Mason from the CAA for the upcoming season, giving the conference 13 members for next season. The A-10 loses Butler and Xavier to the new Big East while Charlotte heads back to Conference USA and Temple moves to the American Athletic Conference.
Davidson ended last season with a 17-1 conference record, defeated College of Charleston in the Southern Conference tournament final.
The Davidson Athletics website posted that a special announcement will be made at a Wednesday morning press conference. No real surprise what that will be following ESPN’s report. The move will officially be announced at 10:30 a.m. at the Baker Sports Complex.
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)