May 7, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
The Atlantic 10 Conference made another move in conference realignment on Tuesday, adding another program to replace four departing schools.
On Tuesday, a source confirmed to ESPN’s Andy Katz that Davidson will join the Atlantic 10 for the 2014-2015 season. In April, it was reported that the A-10 was looking to add the Wildcats, three weeks later it has become the second team this offseason to agree to join the A-10.
The Southern Conference has been ripped apart by conference realignment this season, losing Appalachian State and Georgia Southern to the Sun Belt Conference in March. That news happened four months after the College of Charleston announced it would join the CAA at the beginning of the 2013-2014 season. Davidson was approached by the CAA to switch leagues in October, but elected to stay in the SoCon.
The Atlantic 10 has already added George Mason from the CAA for the upcoming season, giving the conference 13 members for next season. The A-10 loses Butler and Xavier to the new Big East while Charlotte heads back to Conference USA and Temple moves to the American Athletic Conference.
Davidson ended last season with a 17-1 conference record, defeated College of Charleston in the Southern Conference tournament final.
The Davidson Athletics website posted that a special announcement will be made at a Wednesday morning press conference. No real surprise what that will be following ESPN’s report. The move will officially be announced at 10:30 a.m. at the Baker Sports Complex.
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Team 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game (2)