May 7, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT
The Atlantic 10 Conference made another move in conference realignment on Tuesday, adding another program to replace four departing schools.
On Tuesday, a source confirmed to ESPN’s Andy Katz that Davidson will join the Atlantic 10 for the 2014-2015 season. In April, it was reported that the A-10 was looking to add the Wildcats, three weeks later it has become the second team this offseason to agree to join the A-10.
The Southern Conference has been ripped apart by conference realignment this season, losing Appalachian State and Georgia Southern to the Sun Belt Conference in March. That news happened four months after the College of Charleston announced it would join the CAA at the beginning of the 2013-2014 season. Davidson was approached by the CAA to switch leagues in October, but elected to stay in the SoCon.
The Atlantic 10 has already added George Mason from the CAA for the upcoming season, giving the conference 13 members for next season. The A-10 loses Butler and Xavier to the new Big East while Charlotte heads back to Conference USA and Temple moves to the American Athletic Conference.
Davidson ended last season with a 17-1 conference record, defeated College of Charleston in the Southern Conference tournament final.
The Davidson Athletics website posted that a special announcement will be made at a Wednesday morning press conference. No real surprise what that will be following ESPN’s report. The move will officially be announced at 10:30 a.m. at the Baker Sports Complex.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)