May 7, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
Minnesota dipped into the JuCo ranks to land Dre Mathieu on Tuesday afternoon, according to a report.
A 5-foot-10 point guard, Mathieu is athletic and known for his ability to score the ball, which should make him a good fit in Richard Pitino’s system.
Mathieu, who is rated as a three-star recruit by Rivals and will have two years of eligibility remaining after spending the last two seasons at Central Arizona C.C., picked the Gophers over Pepperdine and Ole Miss. He joins Daquein McNeil as the only two recruits that Pitino has committed for the 2013-2014 season.
Minnesota is also in the mix for former UCLA signee Allerik Freeman. With both Andre Hollins and Austin Hollins returning this season, the Gophers should have a pretty good perimeter attack in Pitino’s inaugural season in Minneapolis, especially if they land Freeman.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)