May 7, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
Minnesota dipped into the JuCo ranks to land Dre Mathieu on Tuesday afternoon, according to a report.
A 5-foot-10 point guard, Mathieu is athletic and known for his ability to score the ball, which should make him a good fit in Richard Pitino’s system.
Mathieu, who is rated as a three-star recruit by Rivals and will have two years of eligibility remaining after spending the last two seasons at Central Arizona C.C., picked the Gophers over Pepperdine and Ole Miss. He joins Daquein McNeil as the only two recruits that Pitino has committed for the 2013-2014 season.
Minnesota is also in the mix for former UCLA signee Allerik Freeman. With both Andre Hollins and Austin Hollins returning this season, the Gophers should have a pretty good perimeter attack in Pitino’s inaugural season in Minneapolis, especially if they land Freeman.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 0
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 1
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 20
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 79
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (84)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)