May 7, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
Minnesota dipped into the JuCo ranks to land Dre Mathieu on Tuesday afternoon, according to a report.
A 5-foot-10 point guard, Mathieu is athletic and known for his ability to score the ball, which should make him a good fit in Richard Pitino’s system.
Mathieu, who is rated as a three-star recruit by Rivals and will have two years of eligibility remaining after spending the last two seasons at Central Arizona C.C., picked the Gophers over Pepperdine and Ole Miss. He joins Daquein McNeil as the only two recruits that Pitino has committed for the 2013-2014 season.
Minnesota is also in the mix for former UCLA signee Allerik Freeman. With both Andre Hollins and Austin Hollins returning this season, the Gophers should have a pretty good perimeter attack in Pitino’s inaugural season in Minneapolis, especially if they land Freeman.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)