May 7, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
Minnesota dipped into the JuCo ranks to land Dre Mathieu on Tuesday afternoon, according to a report.
A 5-foot-10 point guard, Mathieu is athletic and known for his ability to score the ball, which should make him a good fit in Richard Pitino’s system.
Mathieu, who is rated as a three-star recruit by Rivals and will have two years of eligibility remaining after spending the last two seasons at Central Arizona C.C., picked the Gophers over Pepperdine and Ole Miss. He joins Daquein McNeil as the only two recruits that Pitino has committed for the 2013-2014 season.
Minnesota is also in the mix for former UCLA signee Allerik Freeman. With both Andre Hollins and Austin Hollins returning this season, the Gophers should have a pretty good perimeter attack in Pitino’s inaugural season in Minneapolis, especially if they land Freeman.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- Stony Brook works toward NCAA appearance after DII transition 0
- Syracuse officials to meet NCAA Committee on Infractions later this month 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Texas A&M gets a tough guard, St. John’s big weekend, Xavier’s intriguing fit 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Key assistant coaching hires 0
- 2014-15 America East Preview: Does Stony Brook finally make the Tournament? 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)