May 7, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
Minnesota dipped into the JuCo ranks to land Dre Mathieu on Tuesday afternoon, according to a report.
A 5-foot-10 point guard, Mathieu is athletic and known for his ability to score the ball, which should make him a good fit in Richard Pitino’s system.
Mathieu, who is rated as a three-star recruit by Rivals and will have two years of eligibility remaining after spending the last two seasons at Central Arizona C.C., picked the Gophers over Pepperdine and Ole Miss. He joins Daquein McNeil as the only two recruits that Pitino has committed for the 2013-2014 season.
Minnesota is also in the mix for former UCLA signee Allerik Freeman. With both Andre Hollins and Austin Hollins returning this season, the Gophers should have a pretty good perimeter attack in Pitino’s inaugural season in Minneapolis, especially if they land Freeman.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)