May 7, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
Minnesota dipped into the JuCo ranks to land Dre Mathieu on Tuesday afternoon, according to a report.
A 5-foot-10 point guard, Mathieu is athletic and known for his ability to score the ball, which should make him a good fit in Richard Pitino’s system.
Mathieu, who is rated as a three-star recruit by Rivals and will have two years of eligibility remaining after spending the last two seasons at Central Arizona C.C., picked the Gophers over Pepperdine and Ole Miss. He joins Daquein McNeil as the only two recruits that Pitino has committed for the 2013-2014 season.
Minnesota is also in the mix for former UCLA signee Allerik Freeman. With both Andre Hollins and Austin Hollins returning this season, the Gophers should have a pretty good perimeter attack in Pitino’s inaugural season in Minneapolis, especially if they land Freeman.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Casey Prather’s become a star, and Florida is reaping the benefits 0
- South Florida holds on as Florida Gulf Coast’s buzzer-beater in double overtime doesn’t count (VIDEO) 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings: Shabazz tops the list again 1
- College Hoops Week in Review: Hello Princeton, and some Brandon Ashley love 1
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 4
- Report: Former North Carolina guard Will Graves arrested on drug charges at home owned by head coach Roy Williams (20)
- Kentucky is a flawed team, but does that mean they can’t contend? (12)
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate (5)
- Difference between Kentucky, ’12 title team: role players? (5)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)