May 7, 2013, 10:43 PM EST
Syracuse and Villanova will continue playing each other in a post-Big East world for the next three seasons.
On Monday, The Juice reported that sources had confirmed that the two programs will play three games over three years in three different locations. Syracuse would get a home game at the Carrier Dome while Villanova will play host at the Wells Fargo Center the next season. The last game of the three-game series would be played at Madison Square Garden, likely part of a doubleheader.
During Syracuse’s farewell tour this season in the Big East, head coach Jim Boeheim made it clear he wanted to continue to play former Big East opponents despite the new home in the ACC. It was announced in January that Syracuse and St. John’s would continue to play each other through the 2015-2016 season.
The out-of-conference schedule Syracuse is putting together over the next few seasons, although difficult, will ennsure the Orange make several appearances at Madison Square Garden until 2016. On Dec. 14, St. John’s host Syracuse at MSG. To start the 2014-2015 season, Syracuse will play in the 2K Sports Classic — meaning the Orange have two games in the World’s Most Famous Arena — and then a neutral site game to end their three-game series with Villanova.
This November, Syracuse is slated to participate in the Maui Invitational and an appearance in the Battle 4 Atlantis in 2015. These out-of-conference games and tournaments are on top of an ACC schedule against the likes of Duke, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Louisville and others in the coming seasons.
Boeheim had previously expressed interest in playing against long-time rival Georgetown.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)