May 7, 2013, 10:43 PM EST
Syracuse and Villanova will continue playing each other in a post-Big East world for the next three seasons.
On Monday, The Juice reported that sources had confirmed that the two programs will play three games over three years in three different locations. Syracuse would get a home game at the Carrier Dome while Villanova will play host at the Wells Fargo Center the next season. The last game of the three-game series would be played at Madison Square Garden, likely part of a doubleheader.
During Syracuse’s farewell tour this season in the Big East, head coach Jim Boeheim made it clear he wanted to continue to play former Big East opponents despite the new home in the ACC. It was announced in January that Syracuse and St. John’s would continue to play each other through the 2015-2016 season.
The out-of-conference schedule Syracuse is putting together over the next few seasons, although difficult, will ennsure the Orange make several appearances at Madison Square Garden until 2016. On Dec. 14, St. John’s host Syracuse at MSG. To start the 2014-2015 season, Syracuse will play in the 2K Sports Classic — meaning the Orange have two games in the World’s Most Famous Arena — and then a neutral site game to end their three-game series with Villanova.
This November, Syracuse is slated to participate in the Maui Invitational and an appearance in the Battle 4 Atlantis in 2015. These out-of-conference games and tournaments are on top of an ACC schedule against the likes of Duke, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Louisville and others in the coming seasons.
Boeheim had previously expressed interest in playing against long-time rival Georgetown.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 0
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (4)