May 7, 2013, 11:57 AM EST
TCU head coach Trent Johnson has added another nice piece, as former Central Michigan and Pitt guard Trey Zeigler has decided to finish out his playing career with the Horned Frogs, according to multiple reports.
Zeigler was a top 75 recruit coming out of high school, but after spending two seasons playing for his father at Central Michigan, he transferred when the elder Zeigler was fired after the 2011-2012 season. Trey got a waiver to play immediately at Pitt, but the season was more or less disastrous. He averaged just 4.4 points and was never able to really find a way to gain Jamie Dixon’s confidence. He got a DUI in the middle of the season, and eventually decided to cut his losses.
Zeigler will likely have to sit out the 2013-2014 season before playing his final year, but he should be joining a TCU team that will be improved by then. Johnson’s 2013 recruiting class is solid, as four-star big man Karviar Shepard headlines the class. With a roster that already includes some talented youngsters — Kyan Anderson, Devonta Abron — and a location in a state that is producing a ton of talent that appears to be averse to the likes of Texas and Texas A&M, and it’s not crazy to think that the Horned Frogs could end up being competitive in the Big 12 sooner rather than later.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Players 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 20 Most Improved Players 2
- College Hoops Week in Review: Wisconsin’s for real, and so is Chaz Williams 1
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role (2)