May 7, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
TCU head coach Trent Johnson has added another nice piece, as former Central Michigan and Pitt guard Trey Zeigler has decided to finish out his playing career with the Horned Frogs, according to multiple reports.
Zeigler was a top 75 recruit coming out of high school, but after spending two seasons playing for his father at Central Michigan, he transferred when the elder Zeigler was fired after the 2011-2012 season. Trey got a waiver to play immediately at Pitt, but the season was more or less disastrous. He averaged just 4.4 points and was never able to really find a way to gain Jamie Dixon’s confidence. He got a DUI in the middle of the season, and eventually decided to cut his losses.
Zeigler will likely have to sit out the 2013-2014 season before playing his final year, but he should be joining a TCU team that will be improved by then. Johnson’s 2013 recruiting class is solid, as four-star big man Karviar Shepard headlines the class. With a roster that already includes some talented youngsters — Kyan Anderson, Devonta Abron — and a location in a state that is producing a ton of talent that appears to be averse to the likes of Texas and Texas A&M, and it’s not crazy to think that the Horned Frogs could end up being competitive in the Big 12 sooner rather than later.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)