May 7, 2013, 11:57 AM EST
TCU head coach Trent Johnson has added another nice piece, as former Central Michigan and Pitt guard Trey Zeigler has decided to finish out his playing career with the Horned Frogs, according to multiple reports.
Zeigler was a top 75 recruit coming out of high school, but after spending two seasons playing for his father at Central Michigan, he transferred when the elder Zeigler was fired after the 2011-2012 season. Trey got a waiver to play immediately at Pitt, but the season was more or less disastrous. He averaged just 4.4 points and was never able to really find a way to gain Jamie Dixon’s confidence. He got a DUI in the middle of the season, and eventually decided to cut his losses.
Zeigler will likely have to sit out the 2013-2014 season before playing his final year, but he should be joining a TCU team that will be improved by then. Johnson’s 2013 recruiting class is solid, as four-star big man Karviar Shepard headlines the class. With a roster that already includes some talented youngsters — Kyan Anderson, Devonta Abron — and a location in a state that is producing a ton of talent that appears to be averse to the likes of Texas and Texas A&M, and it’s not crazy to think that the Horned Frogs could end up being competitive in the Big 12 sooner rather than later.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)