May 7, 2013, 11:57 AM EST
TCU head coach Trent Johnson has added another nice piece, as former Central Michigan and Pitt guard Trey Zeigler has decided to finish out his playing career with the Horned Frogs, according to multiple reports.
Zeigler was a top 75 recruit coming out of high school, but after spending two seasons playing for his father at Central Michigan, he transferred when the elder Zeigler was fired after the 2011-2012 season. Trey got a waiver to play immediately at Pitt, but the season was more or less disastrous. He averaged just 4.4 points and was never able to really find a way to gain Jamie Dixon’s confidence. He got a DUI in the middle of the season, and eventually decided to cut his losses.
Zeigler will likely have to sit out the 2013-2014 season before playing his final year, but he should be joining a TCU team that will be improved by then. Johnson’s 2013 recruiting class is solid, as four-star big man Karviar Shepard headlines the class. With a roster that already includes some talented youngsters — Kyan Anderson, Devonta Abron — and a location in a state that is producing a ton of talent that appears to be averse to the likes of Texas and Texas A&M, and it’s not crazy to think that the Horned Frogs could end up being competitive in the Big 12 sooner rather than later.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:50 PM EST
Maryland pulled off one of the biggest upsets of the young season as they outplayed No. 13 Iowa State for much of the game in front of a pro-Cyclone crowd in Kansas City.
Late Night Snacks: Maryland knocks off No. 13 Iowa State, Arizona advances, Arkansas gets a big road win
Nov 25, 2014, 10:50 PM EST
Another busy night of college hoops as the Maui semifinals wrap up and Arkansas gets a statement road win.
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run
Nov 25, 2014, 10:18 PM EST
As Arizona has struggled to find consistent offense early in the 2014-15 season, the consistency and selfless nature of sophomore forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson has allowed Sean Miller to experiment with what works early.
Nov 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Kansas head coach Bill Self is trying to get through to his players by changing starting lineups.
Nov 25, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
The former national champion still has the touch.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
The Barclays Center Classic doubleheader will air on Friday night on NBC Sports Network.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
The Friars could be depleted on the perimeter against two tough opponents.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:24 PM EST
Minnesota will take a hit to its back court with this suspension.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
I hope his joke doesn’t make people ignore the fact the he really felt bad about this.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:43 PM EST
We get some good gauge games on Tuesday night.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Frank Kaminsky and Jahlil Okafor are near the top, but the rest of the top five may surprise you.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:27 PM EST
Benjamin hurt his ankle against Michigan.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Jason McManamen is trying to prove Billy Hoyle and Sidney Dean wrong.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Michigan was dominated on the glass, but the freshman forward stepped up to ice the victory.
Nov 25, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Can a team that runs a pressing system truly be one of the nations elite?
Late Night Snacks: San Diego State and BYU engage in double OT thriller; Nova, Zona earn big wins; Indiana upset at home
Nov 25, 2014, 2:00 AM EST
A busy night of tournament and non-conference action in college hoops made for some big wins for Villanova and Arizona and a home loss for Indiana.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:51 PM EST
We knew Iowa State had a lot of offensive weapons, but with the return of some key rotation players the Cyclones look really tough.
No. 6 Louisville jumps out to 29-0 lead, holds Savannah State scoreless for nearly 16 minutes in easy win
Nov 24, 2014, 9:35 PM EST
Louisville’s defense took it up a notch against Savannah State.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Tennessee is losing an assistant coach as a NCAA investigation into head coach Donnie Tyndall’s time at Southern Mississippi continues.
Nov 24, 2014, 7:27 PM EST
No. 3 Arizona held off Missouri the whole game and cruised to a double-digit win in Maui.
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 0
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)