May 7, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
William Gates Jr., the son and namesake of one of the stars of the 1994 documentary ‘Hoop Dreams’, will be following in his dad’s footsteps and playing Division I college basketball.
The 6-foot-2 point guard committed to Furman on Monday. His father played at Marquette, but never could get fully healthy after suffering a knee injury as a high school junior.
Junior spent his first two seasons at St. Joseph’s High School in Chicago, playing for the same coach that his dad played for. But the younger Gates couldn’t live up to his father’s expectations, where he was the first freshman to start for the powerhouse program since Isiah Thomas was still a prep baller. After transferring to a public school as a junior, the family moved to San Antonio, where Gates finished up his high school career at Clemens HS, to escape the violence in the city.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Dec 19, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
The senior forward is apparently playing for the Wisconsin Bearcats.
Dec 19, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Villanova is off to another good start in the regular season, but heading into the New Year, the Wildcats will need to rack up the wins in postseason play.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:49 PM EST
The SMU forward missed the first 10 games.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
The Gators could be shorthanded once again in Saturday’s non-conference contest with Wake Forest.
Dec 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
The Indiana sophomore was struck by a vehicle driven by a teammate back in November.
Dec 19, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Antravious Simmons averaged 0.7 points and 0.7 rebounds as a redshirt freshman at VCU.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
The Wildcats are on the road to take on one of Conference USA’s best teams in UTEP, and both No. 18 Miami and No. 20 St. John’s are in action as well.
Dec 19, 2014, 2:44 PM EST
Jordan Gathers had yet to play in a game this season after undergoing hip surgery in June.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:26 PM EST
Kansas State is one of many programs looking to land Semi Ojeleye, but all of their scholarships are accounted for currently.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:04 PM EST
Jones’ dunk on five-star forward Cody Riley is one of the best you’ll see this year.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
When you talk Duke basketball in 2014-15, you start with Player of the Year candidate Jahlil Okafor, but there are plenty of other keys to Duke’s success as we get closer to the new year.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Patrick Cole has been suspended indefinitely.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Oklahoma-Washington, Ohio State-North Carolina and UCLA-Kentucky are just three of the marquee matchups.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:41 AM EST
Even with the win there are things Duke needs to improve upon, most notably the fact that they’ve committed 36 turnovers over the last two games.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:45 PM EST
Also of note was Ole Miss avoiding what would have been their fourth home loss of the season.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:44 PM EST
Jabari McGhee suffered the injury in Tennessee’s loss to NC State on Wednesday.
Dec 18, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
Branden Dawson is the team’s leading rebounder, as he’s grabbing 8.7 boards per contest.
Dec 18, 2014, 5:59 PM EST
Gaston Diedhiou was denied admission to Minnesota during the summer, and he is now eligible immediately after passing an English proficiency exam.
Dec 18, 2014, 5:08 PM EST
While the focus has been on the Aztecs’ shooting percentages, their ability to find quality looks has been a big reason why they’ve struggled.
Dec 18, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
When do we start counting Duke-UConn as a rivalry?
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)