May 7, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
William Gates Jr., the son and namesake of one of the stars of the 1994 documentary ‘Hoop Dreams’, will be following in his dad’s footsteps and playing Division I college basketball.
The 6-foot-2 point guard committed to Furman on Monday. His father played at Marquette, but never could get fully healthy after suffering a knee injury as a high school junior.
Junior spent his first two seasons at St. Joseph’s High School in Chicago, playing for the same coach that his dad played for. But the younger Gates couldn’t live up to his father’s expectations, where he was the first freshman to start for the powerhouse program since Isiah Thomas was still a prep baller. After transferring to a public school as a junior, the family moved to San Antonio, where Gates finished up his high school career at Clemens HS, to escape the violence in the city.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
After Dekker scored 15 points in the first half, Kaminksy scored 15 in the second half for the Badgers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:24 PM EDT
It’s Notre Dame’s first Elite 8 since 1979.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
New Mexico is losing a wing.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Dukes averaged 2.1 points in 7.2 minutes of action per game.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT
Josh Jackson, the No. 1 player in the Class of 2016, is down to nine schools.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
Adam Smith averaged a team-high 13.4 points per game as a redshirt junior.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:13 PM EDT
This is a strong stance from the NCAA.
Mar 26, 2015, 1:53 PM EDT
Dean Smith was unique, that is for sure.
Mar 26, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
Here is the schedule for the Sweet 16
Mar 26, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
Will Tyndall be able to survive the investigation?
Mar 26, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Archie Miller is one of the hottest names in coaching, and Dayton is trying to keep him around as long as possible.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:10 PM EDT
Xavier’s reached the Sweet 16 in five of the last eight seasons, but is there a point where that won’t be good enough?
Mar 26, 2015, 11:52 AM EDT
Frazier is projected as a second round pick.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:37 AM EDT
Did they really call Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless college basketball experts?
Mar 26, 2015, 11:01 AM EDT
Ross has led Delaware to the best stretch in program history.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:43 AM EDT
Lie Witness News is always a classic.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:31 PM EDT
Freeman’s shot came just a couple seconds after Murray State’s Jarvis Moss tied things up at 69 apiece.
Mar 25, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
In his attempt to challenge an NCAA stenographer in Los Angeles, Hayes didn’t realize that the mics pick up everything.
Mar 25, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Meeks’ status for Thursday will be determined by whether or not he experiences any pain or swelling after going through a workout Wednesday morning.
Mar 25, 2015, 7:06 PM EDT
Traevon Jackson hasn’t played since late January, and how much he’ll be able to play against No. 4 North Carolina remains to be seen.
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 11
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Updated tournament records: Five ACC, three Pac-12 teams headed to Sweet 16 (22)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (19)
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field (15)