May 8, 2013, 10:13 PM EDT
Arizona State will have a second starter to replace next season, as head coach Herb Sendek announced during a teleconference with season ticket holders that guard Evan Gordon will transfer to a school closer to his native Indianapolis.
Gordon, who began his collegiate career at Liberty, averaged 10.1 points and 2.9 rebounds per game for the Sun Devils last season.
Gordon has one year of eligibility remaining, and the fact that he has graduated may help his case in regards to being granted immediate eligibility at his next school despite having transferred once already.
Gordon’s departure means that the Sun Devils have to replace two of their top three leading scorers with small forward and second team All-Pac-12 selection Carrick Felix being the other.
Point guard Jahii Carson, who shared Pac-12 Freshman of the Year honors with UCLA’s Shabazz Muhammad, and 7-2 center Jordan Bachynski will be the headliners for Arizona State in 2013-14.
But there are holes to be filled as the Sun Devils look to build on their 12-win improvement from the 2011-12 season, as discussed by Doug Haller of the AZCentral.com.
In addition to Gordon, the Sun Devils also lost senior and bench contributor Chris Colvin. Bo Barnes (0.5 points per game) returns for his junior season. The Sun Devils also bring in freshmen Chance Murray from Los Angeles and Egor Koulechov from South Florida and will welcome back former Tempe Corona del Sol standout Calaen Robinson, who wasn’t with the team last season because of an off-court matter. To help, Sendek also may bring in another player.
Four Arizona State players averaged at least 32 minutes per game last season, with Bachynski (25.4 mpg) and Colvin (21.6) being the only other players averaging double-digit minutes.
Will depth once again be a concern for the Sun Devils? While coach Sendek and his staff have more options at their disposal there are question marks, and Gordon’s departure doesn’t help in that regard.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)