May 8, 2013, 10:13 PM EDT
Arizona State will have a second starter to replace next season, as head coach Herb Sendek announced during a teleconference with season ticket holders that guard Evan Gordon will transfer to a school closer to his native Indianapolis.
Gordon, who began his collegiate career at Liberty, averaged 10.1 points and 2.9 rebounds per game for the Sun Devils last season.
Gordon has one year of eligibility remaining, and the fact that he has graduated may help his case in regards to being granted immediate eligibility at his next school despite having transferred once already.
Gordon’s departure means that the Sun Devils have to replace two of their top three leading scorers with small forward and second team All-Pac-12 selection Carrick Felix being the other.
Point guard Jahii Carson, who shared Pac-12 Freshman of the Year honors with UCLA’s Shabazz Muhammad, and 7-2 center Jordan Bachynski will be the headliners for Arizona State in 2013-14.
But there are holes to be filled as the Sun Devils look to build on their 12-win improvement from the 2011-12 season, as discussed by Doug Haller of the AZCentral.com.
In addition to Gordon, the Sun Devils also lost senior and bench contributor Chris Colvin. Bo Barnes (0.5 points per game) returns for his junior season. The Sun Devils also bring in freshmen Chance Murray from Los Angeles and Egor Koulechov from South Florida and will welcome back former Tempe Corona del Sol standout Calaen Robinson, who wasn’t with the team last season because of an off-court matter. To help, Sendek also may bring in another player.
Four Arizona State players averaged at least 32 minutes per game last season, with Bachynski (25.4 mpg) and Colvin (21.6) being the only other players averaging double-digit minutes.
Will depth once again be a concern for the Sun Devils? While coach Sendek and his staff have more options at their disposal there are question marks, and Gordon’s departure doesn’t help in that regard.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)