May 8, 2013, 10:13 PM EST
Arizona State will have a second starter to replace next season, as head coach Herb Sendek announced during a teleconference with season ticket holders that guard Evan Gordon will transfer to a school closer to his native Indianapolis.
Gordon, who began his collegiate career at Liberty, averaged 10.1 points and 2.9 rebounds per game for the Sun Devils last season.
Gordon has one year of eligibility remaining, and the fact that he has graduated may help his case in regards to being granted immediate eligibility at his next school despite having transferred once already.
Gordon’s departure means that the Sun Devils have to replace two of their top three leading scorers with small forward and second team All-Pac-12 selection Carrick Felix being the other.
Point guard Jahii Carson, who shared Pac-12 Freshman of the Year honors with UCLA’s Shabazz Muhammad, and 7-2 center Jordan Bachynski will be the headliners for Arizona State in 2013-14.
But there are holes to be filled as the Sun Devils look to build on their 12-win improvement from the 2011-12 season, as discussed by Doug Haller of the AZCentral.com.
In addition to Gordon, the Sun Devils also lost senior and bench contributor Chris Colvin. Bo Barnes (0.5 points per game) returns for his junior season. The Sun Devils also bring in freshmen Chance Murray from Los Angeles and Egor Koulechov from South Florida and will welcome back former Tempe Corona del Sol standout Calaen Robinson, who wasn’t with the team last season because of an off-court matter. To help, Sendek also may bring in another player.
Four Arizona State players averaged at least 32 minutes per game last season, with Bachynski (25.4 mpg) and Colvin (21.6) being the only other players averaging double-digit minutes.
Will depth once again be a concern for the Sun Devils? While coach Sendek and his staff have more options at their disposal there are question marks, and Gordon’s departure doesn’t help in that regard.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)