May 8, 2013, 11:23 AM EST
It’s now official: Davidson will be leaving the Southern Conference for the Atlantic 10, effective for the 2014-2015 season.
“Davidson is an ideal fit for the Atlantic 10 – as a nationally recognized academic Institution complimented by excellence in a broad-based athletic program — the Wildcats will be competitive immediately. Their success in men’s basketball is important, bringing another nationally recognized brand into the league,” A-10 Commissioner Bernadette V. McGlade said in a press release sent out by the conference. “It is my pleasure to welcome Davidson’s administration, their student-athletes, staff, alumni and fans to the Atlantic 10 Conference. They will maintain our presence in the Charlotte market, one of the top 25 media markets in the country, and reinforce our commitment to national prominence in men’s basketball.”
The Atlantic 10 has already added George Mason for the 2013-2014 season. Temple is heading to the AAC, Charlotte is headed back to Conference USA and Butler and Xavier are off to become members of the new Big East. That means that, for one year, the A-10 will have 13 members before Davidson joins.
The four schools that the A-10 loses will hurt the league’s basketball profile, but Mason and Davidson both have had strong programs at the mid-major level for quite some time.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 5
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 9
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)