May 8, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT
It’s now official: Davidson will be leaving the Southern Conference for the Atlantic 10, effective for the 2014-2015 season.
“Davidson is an ideal fit for the Atlantic 10 – as a nationally recognized academic Institution complimented by excellence in a broad-based athletic program — the Wildcats will be competitive immediately. Their success in men’s basketball is important, bringing another nationally recognized brand into the league,” A-10 Commissioner Bernadette V. McGlade said in a press release sent out by the conference. “It is my pleasure to welcome Davidson’s administration, their student-athletes, staff, alumni and fans to the Atlantic 10 Conference. They will maintain our presence in the Charlotte market, one of the top 25 media markets in the country, and reinforce our commitment to national prominence in men’s basketball.”
The Atlantic 10 has already added George Mason for the 2013-2014 season. Temple is heading to the AAC, Charlotte is headed back to Conference USA and Butler and Xavier are off to become members of the new Big East. That means that, for one year, the A-10 will have 13 members before Davidson joins.
The four schools that the A-10 loses will hurt the league’s basketball profile, but Mason and Davidson both have had strong programs at the mid-major level for quite some time.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)