May 8, 2013, 6:19 PM EDT
Former Arizona forward Angelo Chol has made his decision in regards to his next destination, with Mark Zeigler of the San Diego Union-Tribune reporting that Chol will transfer to San Diego State.
This move doesn’t come as much of a surprise, as the native of Khartoum, Sudan attended Hoover High School in San Diego and considers the city to be “home” in a sense.
“Angelo had a lot of success here,” Ollie Goulston, Chol’s coach at Hoover High, told the Union-Trubune. “He wants to get back to that foundation of success. Why look elsewhere if everything he’s looking for is right here? The opportunity to get better and come home was too good to pass up.”
Chol didn’t receive a great deal of playing time in either of his two seasons at Arizona, but the arrival of highly-touted freshmen Brandon Ashley, Grant Jerrett (who has entered the 2013 NBA Draft) and Kaleb Tarczewski led to him playing just 8.5 minutes per game this past season.
Chol averaged 1.9 points and 2.0 rebounds per contest for the Wildcats, who reached the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament. And even with Jerrett’s departure, the arrival of McDonald’s All-American Aaron Gordon likely meant that Chol would see similar minutes as a junior.
With that in mind Chol made the decision to transfer, and after sitting out the 2013-14 campaign per NCAA transfer rules the expectation is that he’ll be the latest Aztec forward to flourish under head coach Steve Fisher.
“One thing San Diego State has proven and shown on a consistent basis is they are very successful with long, athletic post guys,” Goulston said. “Aerick Sanders, Billy White, Malcolm Thomas, Marcus Slaughter, Kawhi Leonard, Mohammed Abukar, they’re all basically the same guy – 6-8, 6-9 guys with long, wiry bodies who can do a lot of things well.”
In addition to Chol San Diego State will also have Skylar Spencer inside in 2014-15, and those two are capable of being one of the better big man tandems in the Mountain West when the time comes.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)