May 8, 2013, 1:50 PM EST
Last month, St. John’s forward Amir Garrett announced that he would be transferring out of the program on his twitter feed.
On Wednesday afternoon, the 6-foot-6 Los Angeles native tweeted out his transfer destination, telling the world “I’m coming home” while announcing that he will be enrolling at Cal St. Northridge.
Garrett didn’t make it to St. John’s until midway through his freshman season after dealing with some initial eligibility issues. But as a sophomore in 2012-2013, he saw his playing time and production get cut, as he finished the season averaging 5.4 points and 4.3 rebounds in just over 20 minutes per game for a team that finished 17-16 on the year, including 8-10 in the Big East.
Garrett, and athletic left-handed forward, was ranked as the No. 68 player in the Class of 2011, according to Rivals. He’ll be a huge addition for Reggie Theus as he begins his tenure as head coach at CSUN, where he takes over a program that went 14-17 last season and 5-13 in the Big West, good for second-to-last place.
Basketball isn’t the only sport that Garrett is currently playing, as he is also a pitcher in the Cincinnati Reds’ organization. He reached the Reds’ Single A team in Billings, MT, last season.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Film Session: Louisville-Kentucky will be a Tale of Two (Different) Defenses 1
- WCC Midseason Catchup: No. 8 Gonzaga leads the way 0
- The top 15 most improved players in college basketball 3
- Late Night Snacks: George Washington wins the Diamond Head Classic 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Arizona Wildcats 2
- The ten biggest disappointments of the 2014-2015 college basketball season 4
- New Year’s Resolutions: Gonzaga Bulldogs 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville (5)
- The ten biggest disappointments of the 2014-2015 college basketball season (4)
- No. 24 North Carolina handles No. 12 Ohio State (3)
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game (3)