May 8, 2013, 4:54 PM EST
The NCAA announced Wednesday afternoon that Utah State athletic director Scott Barnes has been named chair of the Division I Men’s Basketball Committee for the 2014-15 academic year.
One of the major responsibilities of the position is that the chair is also the head of the selection committee.
In other words, Barnes will be the person who gets to answer the many questions about the NCAA tournament bracket on Selection Sunday in 2015.
“It is certainly an honor to have been chosen by my peers to chair this prestigious committee” said Barnes in the release. “When I think of the colleagues who have served in this capacity, both prior to and during my tenure, I am truly humbled to have this opportunity.
“I learned so much by watching previous chairs Mike Bobinski, Jeff Hathaway and Gene Smith, and I look forward to working with Ron Wellman and the rest of the committee in the coming year to be fully prepared for this tremendous responsibility.”
Barnes has been a member of the committee since September 2010, and he’ll serve as vice chair under Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman during the 2013-14 academic year.
Barnes has been the athletic director at Utah State since April 2008, with one of his major achievements being the school’s move from the WAC to the Mountain West. Utah State officially becomes a member of the Mountain West on July 1.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)