May 8, 2013, 4:54 PM EDT
The NCAA announced Wednesday afternoon that Utah State athletic director Scott Barnes has been named chair of the Division I Men’s Basketball Committee for the 2014-15 academic year.
One of the major responsibilities of the position is that the chair is also the head of the selection committee.
In other words, Barnes will be the person who gets to answer the many questions about the NCAA tournament bracket on Selection Sunday in 2015.
“It is certainly an honor to have been chosen by my peers to chair this prestigious committee” said Barnes in the release. “When I think of the colleagues who have served in this capacity, both prior to and during my tenure, I am truly humbled to have this opportunity.
“I learned so much by watching previous chairs Mike Bobinski, Jeff Hathaway and Gene Smith, and I look forward to working with Ron Wellman and the rest of the committee in the coming year to be fully prepared for this tremendous responsibility.”
Barnes has been a member of the committee since September 2010, and he’ll serve as vice chair under Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman during the 2013-14 academic year.
Barnes has been the athletic director at Utah State since April 2008, with one of his major achievements being the school’s move from the WAC to the Mountain West. Utah State officially becomes a member of the Mountain West on July 1.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)