May 8, 2013, 4:54 PM EDT
The NCAA announced Wednesday afternoon that Utah State athletic director Scott Barnes has been named chair of the Division I Men’s Basketball Committee for the 2014-15 academic year.
One of the major responsibilities of the position is that the chair is also the head of the selection committee.
In other words, Barnes will be the person who gets to answer the many questions about the NCAA tournament bracket on Selection Sunday in 2015.
“It is certainly an honor to have been chosen by my peers to chair this prestigious committee” said Barnes in the release. “When I think of the colleagues who have served in this capacity, both prior to and during my tenure, I am truly humbled to have this opportunity.
“I learned so much by watching previous chairs Mike Bobinski, Jeff Hathaway and Gene Smith, and I look forward to working with Ron Wellman and the rest of the committee in the coming year to be fully prepared for this tremendous responsibility.”
Barnes has been a member of the committee since September 2010, and he’ll serve as vice chair under Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman during the 2013-14 academic year.
Barnes has been the athletic director at Utah State since April 2008, with one of his major achievements being the school’s move from the WAC to the Mountain West. Utah State officially becomes a member of the Mountain West on July 1.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)