May 9, 2013, 9:59 PM EDT
One of the basic goals for any athlete is to be able to end their career on their own terms.
Unfortunately that isn’t the case for BYU center Ian Harward, as the school announced on Thursday that complications from a back injury suffered last summer have forced him to retire.
The 6-11 Harward played in 22 games this past season, averaging just four minutes per game for Dave Rose’s Cougars. The Orem, Utah native served a two-year LDS mission in San Antonio from 2009 to 2011 and sat out the 2011-12 season as a redshirt.
Harward’s career highs were seven points in a loss to Notre Dame (November 17) and five rebounds in a win over Virginia Tech on December 29.
“We are sorry to lose Ian to injury,” Rose said in a statement released by the school. “He is a fantastic teammate and one of the hardest workers we have had in our program.
“He will be missed in the locker room and on the floor. We wish him and his wife Sarah the very best.”
Harward will continue to work towards his bachelors degree at BYU.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
May 30, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
After three violations of the rule, a school would pay no less than $250,000 for every violation thereafter.
May 30, 2015, 3:50 PM EDT
The Arkansas State forward is due back in court on June 29.
Pangos All-American Camp Day 1: Mustapha Heron dominates; Terrance Ferguson shows glimpses of greatness
May 30, 2015, 2:31 PM EDT
Here’s a rundown of everything that happened at the Pangos All-American Camp on Friday.
May 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The training camp began on May 28 in Colorado Springs.
May 30, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
The extension would go through the 2019-20 season.
May 30, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Ferguson is at the Pangos All-American Camp.
May 29, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Khalid El-Amin’s son has game.
May 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Will Iowa State’s lone 2015 high school commit stay put if Fred Hoiberg leaves?
May 29, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
Oklahoma State badly needed another big man and might have found some help.
May 29, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Duke is getting another Parade National Player of the Year.
May 29, 2015, 4:03 PM EDT
With Fred Hoiberg being tabbed the frontrunner for the Bulls job, Hornacek’s name has come up as a possible replacement in Ames.
May 29, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
Jones will undergo surgery June 1 in Baltimore.
May 29, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
The last time these two teams met at a neutral site was back in 1992.
May 29, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
Kansas also has plans to host former Providence center Paschal Chukwu in early June.
May 29, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Dai-Jon Parker played this past season at the University of Indianapolis.
May 28, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
Fred Hoiberg’s status has impacted recruiting in multiple cases for Iowa State this spring.
May 28, 2015, 7:43 PM EDT
Big 12 tournaments held at the Sprint Center have averaged more than 18,000 fans per session.
May 28, 2015, 6:41 PM EDT
Each team will have three “permanent” opponents they’re guaranteed to play twice every season.
May 28, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
Video surfaced showing that Alie-Cox wasn’t involved in the incident, contradicting a woman’s claim that he punched her in the face.
May 28, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT
UConn’s now added three transfers to the program this spring, two of whom will be eligible immediately as graduate students.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)