May 9, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
Georgetown added another quality piece to their 2014 recruiting class, as Tre Campbell, a DC native and product of St. John’s College High School in Maryland, committed to the program.
“I have always wanted to go to Georgetown,” Campbell told Scout.com’s Brian Snow. “When they offered me I was really excited. I didn’t want to commit on the spot when they offered me last week, and I went back up there today and committed after I toured the campus.”
“It is close to home and I have always liked Georgetown. I have a good relationship with the coaches and it is a good fit.”
Campbell was considered a mid-major prospect for a long time, but after putting together a good junior season in the loaded DC private school leagues, Campbell played well enough to see the high-major offers come pouring in. Campbell, who is currently ranked 121st in the class according to Rivals, decided that his hometown school was the offer he needed to accept.
This isn’t the first time that John Thompson III has mined his backyard for a talented scoring point guard. Chris Wright, who starred in the Hoyas back court for four years, went to St. John’s.
Campbell becomes the second member of Georgetown’s recruiting class, alongside top 50 forward Isaac Copeland.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 0
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)