May 9, 2013, 9:56 AM EST
Georgetown added another quality piece to their 2014 recruiting class, as Tre Campbell, a DC native and product of St. John’s College High School in Maryland, committed to the program.
“I have always wanted to go to Georgetown,” Campbell told Scout.com’s Brian Snow. “When they offered me I was really excited. I didn’t want to commit on the spot when they offered me last week, and I went back up there today and committed after I toured the campus.”
“It is close to home and I have always liked Georgetown. I have a good relationship with the coaches and it is a good fit.”
Campbell was considered a mid-major prospect for a long time, but after putting together a good junior season in the loaded DC private school leagues, Campbell played well enough to see the high-major offers come pouring in. Campbell, who is currently ranked 121st in the class according to Rivals, decided that his hometown school was the offer he needed to accept.
This isn’t the first time that John Thompson III has mined his backyard for a talented scoring point guard. Chris Wright, who starred in the Hoyas back court for four years, went to St. John’s.
Campbell becomes the second member of Georgetown’s recruiting class, alongside top 50 forward Isaac Copeland.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)