May 9, 2013, 8:26 PM EDT
VCU has improved its front court depth according to a report from Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com, as former Florida State forward Terrance Shannon will transfer to the Atlantic 10 school.
As a graduate student, Shannon will be eligible to play immediately for the Rams and will have one year of eligibility remaining.
Shannon’s a 6-8 forward with good athleticism, but issues with injuries and foul trouble had an impact on his production in Tallahassee. Shannon played in 20 games for the Seminoles last season, posting averages of 7.8 points and 5.6 rebounds per game.
In three-plus seasons (Shannon played just seven games in 2011-12) at Florida State, Shannon averaged 5.2 points and 3.3 rebounds per game, shooting just over 45% from the field.
At VCU Shannon will join the likes of Juvonte Reddic, Jarred Guest and incoming freshman Antravious Simmons in the front court.
Given his athleticism, Shannon has the potential to be a good fit for VCU head coach Shaka Smart’s system provided he remain healthy.
As for Florida State, the numbers game becomes quite interesting given the fact that the college basketball world is still awaiting a decision from Andrew Wiggins.
With Shannon’s decision to transfer Florida State is back down to 12 scholarships, meaning that they have one available for the 2013-14 season. Is Shannon’s decision connected to what Wiggins’ decision will be?
Who knows, and it should also be noted that Kansas, Kentucky and North Carolina are still in play for the services of the player many believe to be the top prospect in the 2013 class.
But it does make the situation more clear-cut for the Seminoles from a scholarship standpoint.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)