May 9, 2013, 8:26 PM EDT
VCU has improved its front court depth according to a report from Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com, as former Florida State forward Terrance Shannon will transfer to the Atlantic 10 school.
As a graduate student, Shannon will be eligible to play immediately for the Rams and will have one year of eligibility remaining.
Shannon’s a 6-8 forward with good athleticism, but issues with injuries and foul trouble had an impact on his production in Tallahassee. Shannon played in 20 games for the Seminoles last season, posting averages of 7.8 points and 5.6 rebounds per game.
In three-plus seasons (Shannon played just seven games in 2011-12) at Florida State, Shannon averaged 5.2 points and 3.3 rebounds per game, shooting just over 45% from the field.
At VCU Shannon will join the likes of Juvonte Reddic, Jarred Guest and incoming freshman Antravious Simmons in the front court.
Given his athleticism, Shannon has the potential to be a good fit for VCU head coach Shaka Smart’s system provided he remain healthy.
As for Florida State, the numbers game becomes quite interesting given the fact that the college basketball world is still awaiting a decision from Andrew Wiggins.
With Shannon’s decision to transfer Florida State is back down to 12 scholarships, meaning that they have one available for the 2013-14 season. Is Shannon’s decision connected to what Wiggins’ decision will be?
Who knows, and it should also be noted that Kansas, Kentucky and North Carolina are still in play for the services of the player many believe to be the top prospect in the 2013 class.
But it does make the situation more clear-cut for the Seminoles from a scholarship standpoint.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)