May 9, 2013, 8:26 PM EDT
VCU has improved its front court depth according to a report from Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com, as former Florida State forward Terrance Shannon will transfer to the Atlantic 10 school.
As a graduate student, Shannon will be eligible to play immediately for the Rams and will have one year of eligibility remaining.
Shannon’s a 6-8 forward with good athleticism, but issues with injuries and foul trouble had an impact on his production in Tallahassee. Shannon played in 20 games for the Seminoles last season, posting averages of 7.8 points and 5.6 rebounds per game.
In three-plus seasons (Shannon played just seven games in 2011-12) at Florida State, Shannon averaged 5.2 points and 3.3 rebounds per game, shooting just over 45% from the field.
At VCU Shannon will join the likes of Juvonte Reddic, Jarred Guest and incoming freshman Antravious Simmons in the front court.
Given his athleticism, Shannon has the potential to be a good fit for VCU head coach Shaka Smart’s system provided he remain healthy.
As for Florida State, the numbers game becomes quite interesting given the fact that the college basketball world is still awaiting a decision from Andrew Wiggins.
With Shannon’s decision to transfer Florida State is back down to 12 scholarships, meaning that they have one available for the 2013-14 season. Is Shannon’s decision connected to what Wiggins’ decision will be?
Who knows, and it should also be noted that Kansas, Kentucky and North Carolina are still in play for the services of the player many believe to be the top prospect in the 2013 class.
But it does make the situation more clear-cut for the Seminoles from a scholarship standpoint.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)