May 10, 2013, 9:08 PM EDT
Arizona State landed its third verbal commitment in the 2014 class in the form of Los Angeles, Calif. (Brentwood School) point guard Tra Holder according to his coach Ryan Silver.
And to be frank, Holder’s decision to become a Sun Devil is an important one for Herb Sendek’s program.
Holder (22.9 ppg as a junior) was a first team All-CIF Southern Section Division 4A selection this season, along with Brentwood teammate and Brown commit Leland King. Holder and King helped lead Brentwood to a 23-2 record.
A 6-1 point guard, Holder was offered by Arizona State in late April and committed while on an unofficial visit to the school. And Holder will fit right in at Arizona State given the possibilities at the position.
Rising sophomore Jahii Carson made the decision to return to school for his sophomore season, and if Carson plays as he did in his debut campaign (sharing Pac-12 Freshman of the Year honors with UCLA’s Shabazz Muhammad) it won’t be long before he’s in the NBA.
That’s where Holder’s commitment comes into play.
With this development Sendek and his staff have an heir apparent to the position, with Holder joining 6-5 shooting guard Kodi Justice and 6-9 power forward Connor MacDougall in the 2014 class.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 31
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (31)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (8)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)