May 10, 2013, 9:08 PM EDT
Arizona State landed its third verbal commitment in the 2014 class in the form of Los Angeles, Calif. (Brentwood School) point guard Tra Holder according to his coach Ryan Silver.
And to be frank, Holder’s decision to become a Sun Devil is an important one for Herb Sendek’s program.
Holder (22.9 ppg as a junior) was a first team All-CIF Southern Section Division 4A selection this season, along with Brentwood teammate and Brown commit Leland King. Holder and King helped lead Brentwood to a 23-2 record.
A 6-1 point guard, Holder was offered by Arizona State in late April and committed while on an unofficial visit to the school. And Holder will fit right in at Arizona State given the possibilities at the position.
Rising sophomore Jahii Carson made the decision to return to school for his sophomore season, and if Carson plays as he did in his debut campaign (sharing Pac-12 Freshman of the Year honors with UCLA’s Shabazz Muhammad) it won’t be long before he’s in the NBA.
That’s where Holder’s commitment comes into play.
With this development Sendek and his staff have an heir apparent to the position, with Holder joining 6-5 shooting guard Kodi Justice and 6-9 power forward Connor MacDougall in the 2014 class.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 1
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)