May 10, 2013, 9:08 PM EST
Arizona State landed its third verbal commitment in the 2014 class in the form of Los Angeles, Calif. (Brentwood School) point guard Tra Holder according to his coach Ryan Silver.
And to be frank, Holder’s decision to become a Sun Devil is an important one for Herb Sendek’s program.
Holder (22.9 ppg as a junior) was a first team All-CIF Southern Section Division 4A selection this season, along with Brentwood teammate and Brown commit Leland King. Holder and King helped lead Brentwood to a 23-2 record.
A 6-1 point guard, Holder was offered by Arizona State in late April and committed while on an unofficial visit to the school. And Holder will fit right in at Arizona State given the possibilities at the position.
Rising sophomore Jahii Carson made the decision to return to school for his sophomore season, and if Carson plays as he did in his debut campaign (sharing Pac-12 Freshman of the Year honors with UCLA’s Shabazz Muhammad) it won’t be long before he’s in the NBA.
That’s where Holder’s commitment comes into play.
With this development Sendek and his staff have an heir apparent to the position, with Holder joining 6-5 shooting guard Kodi Justice and 6-9 power forward Connor MacDougall in the 2014 class.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)