May 10, 2013, 9:08 PM EDT
Arizona State landed its third verbal commitment in the 2014 class in the form of Los Angeles, Calif. (Brentwood School) point guard Tra Holder according to his coach Ryan Silver.
And to be frank, Holder’s decision to become a Sun Devil is an important one for Herb Sendek’s program.
Holder (22.9 ppg as a junior) was a first team All-CIF Southern Section Division 4A selection this season, along with Brentwood teammate and Brown commit Leland King. Holder and King helped lead Brentwood to a 23-2 record.
A 6-1 point guard, Holder was offered by Arizona State in late April and committed while on an unofficial visit to the school. And Holder will fit right in at Arizona State given the possibilities at the position.
Rising sophomore Jahii Carson made the decision to return to school for his sophomore season, and if Carson plays as he did in his debut campaign (sharing Pac-12 Freshman of the Year honors with UCLA’s Shabazz Muhammad) it won’t be long before he’s in the NBA.
That’s where Holder’s commitment comes into play.
With this development Sendek and his staff have an heir apparent to the position, with Holder joining 6-5 shooting guard Kodi Justice and 6-9 power forward Connor MacDougall in the 2014 class.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)
- Wichita State lands transfer guard from Texas A&M (2)