May 10, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
The number of players who have decided to transfer from Illinois State since the end of the season has now reached four players, as it was reported by multiple outlets on Thursday that sophomore guard Johnny Hill’s request to be released from his scholarship has been granted.
Hill started 26 of the Redbirds’ 33 games, averaging 7.7 points, 3.9 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game. After sitting out the 2013-14 season Hill will have two seasons of eligibility remaining.
With Hill’s decision to leave the program head coach Dan Muller will retain just one of his top six scorers from the 2012-13 season: rising senior guard Bryant Allen (8.6 ppg).
Leading scorers Tyler Brown (18.1 ppg) and Jackie Carmichael (17.4 ppg, 9.3 rpg) are both out of eligibility, as is forward John Wilkins (6.7 ppg).
Of the four players who have decided to transfer since the end of the season Hill and forward John Ekey (6.4 ppg, 4.2 rpg; transferring to Illinois) were the ones who saw the most playing time. Also transferring are center Jordan Threloff (Northern Illinois) and Zeke Upshaw.
With the many changes in regards to both players leaving and the five newcomers (three of whom are guards), Hill ultimately decided that he was better off finishing his career at another program.
“There have been a lot of changes going on and that has gotten me toward the decision I made,” Hill told Jim Benson of the Bloomington Pantagraph.
“I really did like ISU. There’s been a bunch of changes and some I wasn’t expecting. After talking with my family we thought this was the best decision.”
Illinois State finished the 2012-13 season with an 18-15 record, going 8-10 in Missouri Valley play and reaching the semifinals of the conference tournament. The Redbirds’ season ended with a 66-51 loss to Wichita State.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 1
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)