May 10, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
The number of players who have decided to transfer from Illinois State since the end of the season has now reached four players, as it was reported by multiple outlets on Thursday that sophomore guard Johnny Hill’s request to be released from his scholarship has been granted.
Hill started 26 of the Redbirds’ 33 games, averaging 7.7 points, 3.9 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game. After sitting out the 2013-14 season Hill will have two seasons of eligibility remaining.
With Hill’s decision to leave the program head coach Dan Muller will retain just one of his top six scorers from the 2012-13 season: rising senior guard Bryant Allen (8.6 ppg).
Leading scorers Tyler Brown (18.1 ppg) and Jackie Carmichael (17.4 ppg, 9.3 rpg) are both out of eligibility, as is forward John Wilkins (6.7 ppg).
Of the four players who have decided to transfer since the end of the season Hill and forward John Ekey (6.4 ppg, 4.2 rpg; transferring to Illinois) were the ones who saw the most playing time. Also transferring are center Jordan Threloff (Northern Illinois) and Zeke Upshaw.
With the many changes in regards to both players leaving and the five newcomers (three of whom are guards), Hill ultimately decided that he was better off finishing his career at another program.
“There have been a lot of changes going on and that has gotten me toward the decision I made,” Hill told Jim Benson of the Bloomington Pantagraph.
“I really did like ISU. There’s been a bunch of changes and some I wasn’t expecting. After talking with my family we thought this was the best decision.”
Illinois State finished the 2012-13 season with an 18-15 record, going 8-10 in Missouri Valley play and reaching the semifinals of the conference tournament. The Redbirds’ season ended with a 66-51 loss to Wichita State.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 5
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)