May 10, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
The number of players who have decided to transfer from Illinois State since the end of the season has now reached four players, as it was reported by multiple outlets on Thursday that sophomore guard Johnny Hill’s request to be released from his scholarship has been granted.
Hill started 26 of the Redbirds’ 33 games, averaging 7.7 points, 3.9 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game. After sitting out the 2013-14 season Hill will have two seasons of eligibility remaining.
With Hill’s decision to leave the program head coach Dan Muller will retain just one of his top six scorers from the 2012-13 season: rising senior guard Bryant Allen (8.6 ppg).
Leading scorers Tyler Brown (18.1 ppg) and Jackie Carmichael (17.4 ppg, 9.3 rpg) are both out of eligibility, as is forward John Wilkins (6.7 ppg).
Of the four players who have decided to transfer since the end of the season Hill and forward John Ekey (6.4 ppg, 4.2 rpg; transferring to Illinois) were the ones who saw the most playing time. Also transferring are center Jordan Threloff (Northern Illinois) and Zeke Upshaw.
With the many changes in regards to both players leaving and the five newcomers (three of whom are guards), Hill ultimately decided that he was better off finishing his career at another program.
“There have been a lot of changes going on and that has gotten me toward the decision I made,” Hill told Jim Benson of the Bloomington Pantagraph.
“I really did like ISU. There’s been a bunch of changes and some I wasn’t expecting. After talking with my family we thought this was the best decision.”
Illinois State finished the 2012-13 season with an 18-15 record, going 8-10 in Missouri Valley play and reaching the semifinals of the conference tournament. The Redbirds’ season ended with a 66-51 loss to Wichita State.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 33
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (36)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)