May 11, 2013, 6:19 PM EDT
New Old Dominion head coach Jeff Jones has reached back into his own past to help fill out his coaching staff. He brought in Bryant Stith, who finished his collegiate career in 1992 as Virginia’s leading scorer, to help with recruiting and teaching a young team in a new conference.
Stith was a first-round selection by the Denver Nuggets, and played ten years in the NBA. After he finished his playing career, Stith started his coaching journey at Brunswick County High School,his alma mater. His teams won state championships the past three years, and that was good enough to get him a look from Jones, who coached Stith at UVA in the 90s.
“I am elated to have Bryant joining our staff at Old Dominion,” Jones said in an official statement. “He was a tremendous basketball player, and had tremendous collegiate and NBA careers, but the special thing about Bryant is that as good as he was as a basketball player he’s even better as a person. He will be a great addition to our staff, and a great addition to the community. He will be able to help our student athletes develop as basketball players, but also as young men. He will be an outstanding ambassador for our program and I can’t wait to get started.”
Stith officially assumed his duties at ODU on Friday, May 10. His hiring came too late to secure the services of his two best players at Brunswick – his own sons. Brandan Stith will begin his college career at East Carolina next season, where he’ll face his father’s team in conference play. B.J. Stith will play at Oak Hill Academy next season, then join the Virginia Cavaliers.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)