May 11, 2013, 6:19 PM EST
New Old Dominion head coach Jeff Jones has reached back into his own past to help fill out his coaching staff. He brought in Bryant Stith, who finished his collegiate career in 1992 as Virginia’s leading scorer, to help with recruiting and teaching a young team in a new conference.
Stith was a first-round selection by the Denver Nuggets, and played ten years in the NBA. After he finished his playing career, Stith started his coaching journey at Brunswick County High School,his alma mater. His teams won state championships the past three years, and that was good enough to get him a look from Jones, who coached Stith at UVA in the 90s.
“I am elated to have Bryant joining our staff at Old Dominion,” Jones said in an official statement. “He was a tremendous basketball player, and had tremendous collegiate and NBA careers, but the special thing about Bryant is that as good as he was as a basketball player he’s even better as a person. He will be a great addition to our staff, and a great addition to the community. He will be able to help our student athletes develop as basketball players, but also as young men. He will be an outstanding ambassador for our program and I can’t wait to get started.”
Stith officially assumed his duties at ODU on Friday, May 10. His hiring came too late to secure the services of his two best players at Brunswick – his own sons. Brandan Stith will begin his college career at East Carolina next season, where he’ll face his father’s team in conference play. B.J. Stith will play at Oak Hill Academy next season, then join the Virginia Cavaliers.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)