May 11, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
Brad Brownell addressed a glaring lack of size on his team this week, as Sidy Djitte committed to Clemson. The 6’10”, 235-lb center from Senegal was orginally looking at Memphis and Cincinnati before opting to get in on the ground level in the ACC.
Brownell’s Tigers haven’t made the NCAA touranment since previous head coach Oliver Purnell left for DePaul. Lack of a quality big man has been one of the issues keeping the team in the lower echelon of the ACC standings, and it’s likely to get even more challenging with Pitt and Syracuse coming in. Brownell has turned to imports to bridge the height gap recently, following Catalin Baciu’s departure with the signing of 6’10” Cameroonian Landry Nnoko, who averaged just 1.0 points, 1.4 boards and just 0.3 blocks per game in limited minutes as a freshman.
Djitte isn’t likely to be an immediate solution in the frontcourt. He’s only lived in the U.S. since 2011, so he hasn’t had a ton of time to get used to the game as it’s played at the highest levels. His high school averages of 17 points, 12 rebounds and 3 blocks helped Northwood Temple Academy to the Carolina Christian Conference title, but it’s anyone’s guess how those numbers will translate to college basketball’s highest level. According to the Fayetteville Observer, Brownell has found some more experienced inside help.
Three players, including 6-10 junior college forward Ibrahim Djambo, already have signed with Clemson. Djambo, who averaged 17.7 points, 9.2 rebounds and 1.5 blocks as a sophomore at Three Rivers Community College in Poplar Bluff, Mo., committed to the Tigers on April 23. Djitte and Djambo will be joined by 6-3 wing Patrick Rooks of Charlotte and 6-6 wing Austin Ajukwa of Columbia, S.C.
Brownell is a respected coach with a strong defensive pedigree, but his league is just getting tougher. He’ll have to do some serious coaching to get his front line ready for ACC play.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)