May 11, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
Brad Brownell addressed a glaring lack of size on his team this week, as Sidy Djitte committed to Clemson. The 6’10”, 235-lb center from Senegal was orginally looking at Memphis and Cincinnati before opting to get in on the ground level in the ACC.
Brownell’s Tigers haven’t made the NCAA touranment since previous head coach Oliver Purnell left for DePaul. Lack of a quality big man has been one of the issues keeping the team in the lower echelon of the ACC standings, and it’s likely to get even more challenging with Pitt and Syracuse coming in. Brownell has turned to imports to bridge the height gap recently, following Catalin Baciu’s departure with the signing of 6’10” Cameroonian Landry Nnoko, who averaged just 1.0 points, 1.4 boards and just 0.3 blocks per game in limited minutes as a freshman.
Djitte isn’t likely to be an immediate solution in the frontcourt. He’s only lived in the U.S. since 2011, so he hasn’t had a ton of time to get used to the game as it’s played at the highest levels. His high school averages of 17 points, 12 rebounds and 3 blocks helped Northwood Temple Academy to the Carolina Christian Conference title, but it’s anyone’s guess how those numbers will translate to college basketball’s highest level. According to the Fayetteville Observer, Brownell has found some more experienced inside help.
Three players, including 6-10 junior college forward Ibrahim Djambo, already have signed with Clemson. Djambo, who averaged 17.7 points, 9.2 rebounds and 1.5 blocks as a sophomore at Three Rivers Community College in Poplar Bluff, Mo., committed to the Tigers on April 23. Djitte and Djambo will be joined by 6-3 wing Patrick Rooks of Charlotte and 6-6 wing Austin Ajukwa of Columbia, S.C.
Brownell is a respected coach with a strong defensive pedigree, but his league is just getting tougher. He’ll have to do some serious coaching to get his front line ready for ACC play.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
The junior point guard is one of several banged up Jayhawks.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:06 PM EDT
Eron Harris averaged 17.2 points per game for West Virginia in the 2013-14 season.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson, Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Tyler Dorsey and Terrance Ferguson were included in the top plays.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Mike Davis has one of the most entertaining players joining the program.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)