May 11, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
On Wednesday evening, news broke that Evan Gordon, who started and averaged 10.1 points for Arizona State last season, would be transferring out of the program.
Gordon, who had to redshirt a year after transferring from Liberty, should be able to gain immediate eligibility due to the NCAA’s rule on graduate transfers.
An Indianapolis native, Gordon — who is the younger brother of former Indiana Hoosier Eric Gordon — is looking to transfer to a school close to his hometown.
And according to a report from The Hoosier Scoop, Gordon is currently planning visits to both Indiana and Butler. He spoke with the site while watching his younger brother play in an AAU tournament in Bloomington on Friday:
“I’ve been in contact with the (IU) coaches recently,” Gordon said, “and been in contact with a couple other programs, but I know Indiana does offer a couple programs that Arizona State doesn’t.”
And since he’s already in town, Gordon plans to the most of the opportunity.
“Tomorrow I plan on meeting with Coach (Tom) Crean and Coach (Tim) Buckley and the present staff,” he said.
Gordon wasn’t tipping his hand when he assessed the possibility of playing for the Bulldogs.
“I haven’t really done my research (on their roster),but I’ve seen them play this year, and I think Butler is also another good place to play,” Gordon said with a non-commital chuckle.
Gordon would be a good fit on an Indiana team that could use a scorer in their back court. They lost Jordy Hulls to graduation, Remy Abell and Maurice Creek to transfer and Victor Oladipo to the NBA, and with Ron Patterson failing to get eligible immediately, they also are missing a piece from last year’s recruiting class that could have helped bridge that gap.
There were reports initially when he made the decision to leave ASU that he would transfer to Indiana, although his father denied those claims.
Whatever the case, Gordon told The Hoosier Scoop that his decision would be made in the next two weeks.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)