May 11, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
On Wednesday evening, news broke that Evan Gordon, who started and averaged 10.1 points for Arizona State last season, would be transferring out of the program.
Gordon, who had to redshirt a year after transferring from Liberty, should be able to gain immediate eligibility due to the NCAA’s rule on graduate transfers.
An Indianapolis native, Gordon — who is the younger brother of former Indiana Hoosier Eric Gordon — is looking to transfer to a school close to his hometown.
And according to a report from The Hoosier Scoop, Gordon is currently planning visits to both Indiana and Butler. He spoke with the site while watching his younger brother play in an AAU tournament in Bloomington on Friday:
“I’ve been in contact with the (IU) coaches recently,” Gordon said, “and been in contact with a couple other programs, but I know Indiana does offer a couple programs that Arizona State doesn’t.”
And since he’s already in town, Gordon plans to the most of the opportunity.
“Tomorrow I plan on meeting with Coach (Tom) Crean and Coach (Tim) Buckley and the present staff,” he said.
Gordon wasn’t tipping his hand when he assessed the possibility of playing for the Bulldogs.
“I haven’t really done my research (on their roster),but I’ve seen them play this year, and I think Butler is also another good place to play,” Gordon said with a non-commital chuckle.
Gordon would be a good fit on an Indiana team that could use a scorer in their back court. They lost Jordy Hulls to graduation, Remy Abell and Maurice Creek to transfer and Victor Oladipo to the NBA, and with Ron Patterson failing to get eligible immediately, they also are missing a piece from last year’s recruiting class that could have helped bridge that gap.
There were reports initially when he made the decision to leave ASU that he would transfer to Indiana, although his father denied those claims.
Whatever the case, Gordon told The Hoosier Scoop that his decision would be made in the next two weeks.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 26
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (26)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)