May 11, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
On Wednesday evening, news broke that Evan Gordon, who started and averaged 10.1 points for Arizona State last season, would be transferring out of the program.
Gordon, who had to redshirt a year after transferring from Liberty, should be able to gain immediate eligibility due to the NCAA’s rule on graduate transfers.
An Indianapolis native, Gordon — who is the younger brother of former Indiana Hoosier Eric Gordon — is looking to transfer to a school close to his hometown.
And according to a report from The Hoosier Scoop, Gordon is currently planning visits to both Indiana and Butler. He spoke with the site while watching his younger brother play in an AAU tournament in Bloomington on Friday:
“I’ve been in contact with the (IU) coaches recently,” Gordon said, “and been in contact with a couple other programs, but I know Indiana does offer a couple programs that Arizona State doesn’t.”
And since he’s already in town, Gordon plans to the most of the opportunity.
“Tomorrow I plan on meeting with Coach (Tom) Crean and Coach (Tim) Buckley and the present staff,” he said.
Gordon wasn’t tipping his hand when he assessed the possibility of playing for the Bulldogs.
“I haven’t really done my research (on their roster),but I’ve seen them play this year, and I think Butler is also another good place to play,” Gordon said with a non-commital chuckle.
Gordon would be a good fit on an Indiana team that could use a scorer in their back court. They lost Jordy Hulls to graduation, Remy Abell and Maurice Creek to transfer and Victor Oladipo to the NBA, and with Ron Patterson failing to get eligible immediately, they also are missing a piece from last year’s recruiting class that could have helped bridge that gap.
There were reports initially when he made the decision to leave ASU that he would transfer to Indiana, although his father denied those claims.
Whatever the case, Gordon told The Hoosier Scoop that his decision would be made in the next two weeks.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)