May 11, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
On Wednesday evening, news broke that Evan Gordon, who started and averaged 10.1 points for Arizona State last season, would be transferring out of the program.
Gordon, who had to redshirt a year after transferring from Liberty, should be able to gain immediate eligibility due to the NCAA’s rule on graduate transfers.
An Indianapolis native, Gordon — who is the younger brother of former Indiana Hoosier Eric Gordon — is looking to transfer to a school close to his hometown.
And according to a report from The Hoosier Scoop, Gordon is currently planning visits to both Indiana and Butler. He spoke with the site while watching his younger brother play in an AAU tournament in Bloomington on Friday:
“I’ve been in contact with the (IU) coaches recently,” Gordon said, “and been in contact with a couple other programs, but I know Indiana does offer a couple programs that Arizona State doesn’t.”
And since he’s already in town, Gordon plans to the most of the opportunity.
“Tomorrow I plan on meeting with Coach (Tom) Crean and Coach (Tim) Buckley and the present staff,” he said.
Gordon wasn’t tipping his hand when he assessed the possibility of playing for the Bulldogs.
“I haven’t really done my research (on their roster),but I’ve seen them play this year, and I think Butler is also another good place to play,” Gordon said with a non-commital chuckle.
Gordon would be a good fit on an Indiana team that could use a scorer in their back court. They lost Jordy Hulls to graduation, Remy Abell and Maurice Creek to transfer and Victor Oladipo to the NBA, and with Ron Patterson failing to get eligible immediately, they also are missing a piece from last year’s recruiting class that could have helped bridge that gap.
There were reports initially when he made the decision to leave ASU that he would transfer to Indiana, although his father denied those claims.
Whatever the case, Gordon told The Hoosier Scoop that his decision would be made in the next two weeks.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)