May 11, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
The South Dakota State Jackrabbits have spent the first part of their summer vacation doing something much more important than anything that they’ve accomplished on the court over the years.
Head coach Scott Nagy has taken his guys down to Haiti on a trip in conjunction with Samaritan’s Feet, volunteering and helping distribute shoes to kids that can’t afford them.
The team has been blogging about their experiences (you can read through all of their posts here), but perhaps the coolest part of the trip is that Nagy, who has adopted a Haitian girl named Naika, got a chance to spend the day with her mother.
The trip, quite obviously, is having a major impact on these kids:
Kids at the orphanage love iPhones! Haha for real though, this trip is a life-changing experience! twitter.com/tonyfiegen/sta…
— Tony Fiegen (@tonyfiegen) May 10, 2013
Pictures like this from Brayden Carlson are probably the reason for that:
(Top image via SDSU Athletics)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)