May 11, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
The South Dakota State Jackrabbits have spent the first part of their summer vacation doing something much more important than anything that they’ve accomplished on the court over the years.
Head coach Scott Nagy has taken his guys down to Haiti on a trip in conjunction with Samaritan’s Feet, volunteering and helping distribute shoes to kids that can’t afford them.
The team has been blogging about their experiences (you can read through all of their posts here), but perhaps the coolest part of the trip is that Nagy, who has adopted a Haitian girl named Naika, got a chance to spend the day with her mother.
The trip, quite obviously, is having a major impact on these kids:
Kids at the orphanage love iPhones! Haha for real though, this trip is a life-changing experience! twitter.com/tonyfiegen/sta…
— Tony Fiegen (@tonyfiegen) May 10, 2013
Pictures like this from Brayden Carlson are probably the reason for that:
(Top image via SDSU Athletics)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)