May 11, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
If you’re looking to showcase your talents in an up-tempo system, Florida State is not where you want to be.
That’s what Terry Whisnant has realized after two grind-it-out seasons on Leonard Hamilton’s team, so he’s decided to leave the Seminoles and move closer to his hometown of Cherryville, NC. Whisnant is said to be looking to join either Jeff Lebo’s Pirate crew at East Carolina or Cliff Ellis and the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.
“I’m just going to relax and think about it and make my final decision next Wednesday or Thursday,” said Whisnant, who visited Coastal Carolina last Wednesday and Thursday and East Carolina on Friday. “They’re both great situations for me.”
Whisnant started the past season averaging close to 30 minutes per game, but saw his floor time fall drastically when the ACC season began. His low point was a one-minute mopup appearance against Clemson in the ACC tournament. He finished the season averaging just over five points per game.
Whisnant is a decent three-point shooter, and the defensive skills he picked up under Hamilton’s tutelage could make him a devastating presence for either of his target programs. At 6’3″ and 174 lbs., he could provide a physical backcourt piece, which either veteran coach would be happy to have.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)