May 11, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
If you’re looking to showcase your talents in an up-tempo system, Florida State is not where you want to be.
That’s what Terry Whisnant has realized after two grind-it-out seasons on Leonard Hamilton’s team, so he’s decided to leave the Seminoles and move closer to his hometown of Cherryville, NC. Whisnant is said to be looking to join either Jeff Lebo’s Pirate crew at East Carolina or Cliff Ellis and the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.
“I’m just going to relax and think about it and make my final decision next Wednesday or Thursday,” said Whisnant, who visited Coastal Carolina last Wednesday and Thursday and East Carolina on Friday. “They’re both great situations for me.”
Whisnant started the past season averaging close to 30 minutes per game, but saw his floor time fall drastically when the ACC season began. His low point was a one-minute mopup appearance against Clemson in the ACC tournament. He finished the season averaging just over five points per game.
Whisnant is a decent three-point shooter, and the defensive skills he picked up under Hamilton’s tutelage could make him a devastating presence for either of his target programs. At 6’3″ and 174 lbs., he could provide a physical backcourt piece, which either veteran coach would be happy to have.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)