May 12, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
We now know when the nation’s top-ranked recruit will announce his decision.
As reported by Huntington (W.Va.) Prep head coach Rob Fulford via Twitter, Andrew Wiggins will formally announce his decision Tuesday at 12:15 p.m. While it will be a press conference, only one reporter will attend in addition to Wiggins’ parents, coaches and teammates.
The final four schools in the running for Wiggins’ services are Florida State, Kansas, Kentucky and North Carolina.
Where will Wiggins end up? That’s anyone’s guess, as the native of Thornhill, Ontario has kept a low profile throughout the recruiting process.
Both of Wiggins’ parents attended Florida State, and Huntington Prep and CIA Bounce (his AAU team) teammate Xavier Rathan-Mayes has signed to attend the ACC school as well. The Seminoles missed the NCAA tournament just one year after winning the ACC title (the league recognizes its tournament champion as the official champion) and needs to replace leading scorer Michael Snaer.
As for Kansas, the Jayhawks lose four seniors (Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford, Jeff Withey and Kevin Young) as well as wing Ben McLemore, who is expected to be a lottery pick in this June’s NBA Draft after playing one season in Lawrence.
Head coach Bill Self has a five-member recruiting class thus far, one that features intriguing 7-footer Joel Embiid and wings Wayne Selden and Brannen Greene.
Kentucky has already reeled in a recruiting class that some analysts have proclaimed to be the best ever, as it features the Harrison twins and forwards Julius Randle and James Young (center Dakari Johnson as well). John Calipari also welcomes back Willie Cauley-Stein, Alex Poythress and Kyle Wiltjer.
As for North Carolina their best additions to date may have been the decisions of P.J. Hairston and James Michael McAdoo to return to Chapel Hill. Point guard Marcus Paige also returns, and Roy Williams’ incoming class includes forward Isaiah Hicks and center Kennedy Meeks.
One of these four schools will receive a major boost to its national title hopes Tuesday afternoon. Who will it be?
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)