May 12, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
If there is such thing as a late-bloomer in the world of college basketball recruiting, George King is one. The 6’6 forward from just outside of San Antonio, TX is a big commitment for Colorado and Tad Boyle.
Just weeks ago, King held offers from a modest collection of mid-major schools, but after performing exceptionally well at the Mile High Classic in Denver his stock really increased. Hoopniks, a recruiting website, had this to say about King:
“Based on King’s play, it’s clear he’s a high-major talent, which makes it no surprise that he’s garnered new interest from UTEP, Colorado State, Northern Iowa, and several others based on his recent play. King has the look of a Big-12 or Pac-12 wing forward, and one could expect his list to expand before it gets smaller.”
King may have bought into the notion that he wasn’t a BCS-caliber player as he originally committed to the Northern Colorado, but his play as of late clearly demonstrated he is a step or two above that level of play.
According to BuffZone, King not only improved on the court, but excelled in the classroom his senior year receiving all A’s. His first three years in high school saw King struggle academically, and that made his recruitment more difficult:
“It was all in front of me what I had to do to get to the level I wanted to get to,” King said. “I started hitting the books and started getting my grades up. I really got more focused. College basketball is something I always wanted to play.”
In addition to Colorado, King garnered offers from Colorado State, Gonzaga, Marquette, Texas A&M and UTEP:
“I thought (Colorado) was a really good fit for me. They have a really good coaching staff.”
King is the final member of the Buffaloes’ 2013 recruiting class, joining Jaron Hopkins, Tre’Shaun Lexing, and Dustin Thomas.
Tad Boyle and Colorado have developed into hot names lately due to their back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances and wins. With the addition of King and a strong nucleus of players returning, Colorado will be a fringe Top 25 team to begin the season.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)