May 12, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
If there is such thing as a late-bloomer in the world of college basketball recruiting, George King is one. The 6’6 forward from just outside of San Antonio, TX is a big commitment for Colorado and Tad Boyle.
Just weeks ago, King held offers from a modest collection of mid-major schools, but after performing exceptionally well at the Mile High Classic in Denver his stock really increased. Hoopniks, a recruiting website, had this to say about King:
“Based on King’s play, it’s clear he’s a high-major talent, which makes it no surprise that he’s garnered new interest from UTEP, Colorado State, Northern Iowa, and several others based on his recent play. King has the look of a Big-12 or Pac-12 wing forward, and one could expect his list to expand before it gets smaller.”
King may have bought into the notion that he wasn’t a BCS-caliber player as he originally committed to the Northern Colorado, but his play as of late clearly demonstrated he is a step or two above that level of play.
According to BuffZone, King not only improved on the court, but excelled in the classroom his senior year receiving all A’s. His first three years in high school saw King struggle academically, and that made his recruitment more difficult:
“It was all in front of me what I had to do to get to the level I wanted to get to,” King said. “I started hitting the books and started getting my grades up. I really got more focused. College basketball is something I always wanted to play.”
In addition to Colorado, King garnered offers from Colorado State, Gonzaga, Marquette, Texas A&M and UTEP:
“I thought (Colorado) was a really good fit for me. They have a really good coaching staff.”
King is the final member of the Buffaloes’ 2013 recruiting class, joining Jaron Hopkins, Tre’Shaun Lexing, and Dustin Thomas.
Tad Boyle and Colorado have developed into hot names lately due to their back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances and wins. With the addition of King and a strong nucleus of players returning, Colorado will be a fringe Top 25 team to begin the season.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)