May 12, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
If there is such thing as a late-bloomer in the world of college basketball recruiting, George King is one. The 6’6 forward from just outside of San Antonio, TX is a big commitment for Colorado and Tad Boyle.
Just weeks ago, King held offers from a modest collection of mid-major schools, but after performing exceptionally well at the Mile High Classic in Denver his stock really increased. Hoopniks, a recruiting website, had this to say about King:
“Based on King’s play, it’s clear he’s a high-major talent, which makes it no surprise that he’s garnered new interest from UTEP, Colorado State, Northern Iowa, and several others based on his recent play. King has the look of a Big-12 or Pac-12 wing forward, and one could expect his list to expand before it gets smaller.”
King may have bought into the notion that he wasn’t a BCS-caliber player as he originally committed to the Northern Colorado, but his play as of late clearly demonstrated he is a step or two above that level of play.
According to BuffZone, King not only improved on the court, but excelled in the classroom his senior year receiving all A’s. His first three years in high school saw King struggle academically, and that made his recruitment more difficult:
“It was all in front of me what I had to do to get to the level I wanted to get to,” King said. “I started hitting the books and started getting my grades up. I really got more focused. College basketball is something I always wanted to play.”
In addition to Colorado, King garnered offers from Colorado State, Gonzaga, Marquette, Texas A&M and UTEP:
“I thought (Colorado) was a really good fit for me. They have a really good coaching staff.”
King is the final member of the Buffaloes’ 2013 recruiting class, joining Jaron Hopkins, Tre’Shaun Lexing, and Dustin Thomas.
Tad Boyle and Colorado have developed into hot names lately due to their back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances and wins. With the addition of King and a strong nucleus of players returning, Colorado will be a fringe Top 25 team to begin the season.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was (5)