May 13, 2013, 4:15 PM EST
Looks like DeVon Walker had a change of heart.
The Florida wing announced last week that he would be transferring out of the Gators’ program, presumably in search of more playing time. But now it turns out Walker will stay in Gainesville.
“Florida is such a great place, and the more I thought about it, I just realized this is where I want to be,” Walker said in a statement. “The coaching staff has helped me get better on and off the court over the past year and I really enjoy being around my teammates, so I’m excited to refocus on my future here in Gainesville.”
According to a story at GatorCountry.com, coach Billy Donovan and Walker were able to hash out their problems.
Walker averaged 0.8 points, 0.7 rebounds and 0.2 assists for Donovan as a freshman. He played 99 total minutes and was 4-for-22 from the field overall.
The 6-6 Winter Haven, Fla. native could see a small increase in playing time, but it’ll be hard with incoming freshman like Chris Walker and Kasey Hill making their way to campus. Virginia Tech transfer Dorian Finney-Smith will also be eligible and Kasey Prather and Will Yeguete return as well.
“We always encourage guys to do what they feel is best for their future, and we’re glad that DeVon will be continuing with us here at Florida,” Donovan said in the release.
Whatever the reason, Walker is staying.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 0
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Wake Forest beats No. 4 Duke as Blue Devils struggle to score again 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)