May 13, 2013, 4:15 PM EST
Looks like DeVon Walker had a change of heart.
The Florida wing announced last week that he would be transferring out of the Gators’ program, presumably in search of more playing time. But now it turns out Walker will stay in Gainesville.
“Florida is such a great place, and the more I thought about it, I just realized this is where I want to be,” Walker said in a statement. “The coaching staff has helped me get better on and off the court over the past year and I really enjoy being around my teammates, so I’m excited to refocus on my future here in Gainesville.”
According to a story at GatorCountry.com, coach Billy Donovan and Walker were able to hash out their problems.
Walker averaged 0.8 points, 0.7 rebounds and 0.2 assists for Donovan as a freshman. He played 99 total minutes and was 4-for-22 from the field overall.
The 6-6 Winter Haven, Fla. native could see a small increase in playing time, but it’ll be hard with incoming freshman like Chris Walker and Kasey Hill making their way to campus. Virginia Tech transfer Dorian Finney-Smith will also be eligible and Kasey Prather and Will Yeguete return as well.
“We always encourage guys to do what they feel is best for their future, and we’re glad that DeVon will be continuing with us here at Florida,” Donovan said in the release.
Whatever the reason, Walker is staying.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)