May 13, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
Looks like DeVon Walker had a change of heart.
The Florida wing announced last week that he would be transferring out of the Gators’ program, presumably in search of more playing time. But now it turns out Walker will stay in Gainesville.
“Florida is such a great place, and the more I thought about it, I just realized this is where I want to be,” Walker said in a statement. “The coaching staff has helped me get better on and off the court over the past year and I really enjoy being around my teammates, so I’m excited to refocus on my future here in Gainesville.”
According to a story at GatorCountry.com, coach Billy Donovan and Walker were able to hash out their problems.
Walker averaged 0.8 points, 0.7 rebounds and 0.2 assists for Donovan as a freshman. He played 99 total minutes and was 4-for-22 from the field overall.
The 6-6 Winter Haven, Fla. native could see a small increase in playing time, but it’ll be hard with incoming freshman like Chris Walker and Kasey Hill making their way to campus. Virginia Tech transfer Dorian Finney-Smith will also be eligible and Kasey Prather and Will Yeguete return as well.
“We always encourage guys to do what they feel is best for their future, and we’re glad that DeVon will be continuing with us here at Florida,” Donovan said in the release.
Whatever the reason, Walker is staying.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)