May 13, 2013, 4:15 PM EST
Looks like DeVon Walker had a change of heart.
The Florida wing announced last week that he would be transferring out of the Gators’ program, presumably in search of more playing time. But now it turns out Walker will stay in Gainesville.
“Florida is such a great place, and the more I thought about it, I just realized this is where I want to be,” Walker said in a statement. “The coaching staff has helped me get better on and off the court over the past year and I really enjoy being around my teammates, so I’m excited to refocus on my future here in Gainesville.”
According to a story at GatorCountry.com, coach Billy Donovan and Walker were able to hash out their problems.
Walker averaged 0.8 points, 0.7 rebounds and 0.2 assists for Donovan as a freshman. He played 99 total minutes and was 4-for-22 from the field overall.
The 6-6 Winter Haven, Fla. native could see a small increase in playing time, but it’ll be hard with incoming freshman like Chris Walker and Kasey Hill making their way to campus. Virginia Tech transfer Dorian Finney-Smith will also be eligible and Kasey Prather and Will Yeguete return as well.
“We always encourage guys to do what they feel is best for their future, and we’re glad that DeVon will be continuing with us here at Florida,” Donovan said in the release.
Whatever the reason, Walker is staying.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (5)