May 13, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
At 12:15 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon, one head coach will receive an early christmas present, as Andrew Wiggins will be announcing where he will spend his one year on campus.
The choice is down to Kentucky, Florida State, Kansas and North Carolina, and it’s a decision that absolutely no one — not any of the people that cover recruiting, not any of the coaches involved in pursuing Wiggins, not anyone outside of Andrew and the Wiggins’ family — seems to have any clue about. The country’s best high school hoops prospect since Kevin Durant, and possibly LeBron James, has kept this limited to just those people closest to him.
And frankly, that’s refreshing.
In an era where high school athletes think they’ve made it because their names pop up in the headlines of websites trafficked by the most die-hard recruiting junkies, Wiggins has done everything he can to keep his name out of the spotlight. He doesn’t do interviews. He’s tweeted less than 1,000 times. He’d rather spend his days doing things high school seniors do than try and soak up the attention and adoration that we love to send the way of our nation’s best athletes.
As a result, his recruitment has drummed up a never-before-seen amount of attention and speculation, and there are a couple of reasons for that:
- Wiggins is a good enough prospect that he will completely change the outlook of the season for whatever team he ends up joining. Florida State would go from a likely NIT team to a top 25 team, Kansas would instantly become the favorite to win the Big 12, etc. There’s always going to be more interest in a player the more talented he is.
- No one has any inside information on this. Everyone is clueless. Everyone is speculating. Between twitter and the immediacy of our current news cycle — and with fan bases like Kentucky, Kansas and North Carolina involved — there is no shortage of folks anxiously waiting for the slightest bit of information.
- His recruitment has seemingly dragged on forever. It’s May 13th. The last day of the spring signing period is May 15th. Wiggins is the only top 100 recruit left undecided. At this point, the only other players looking to grab a roster spot in the Class of 2013 are the guys that weren’t good enough and are still trying to prove themselves. It’s not unheard of for a top recruit to wait this long — Terrence Jones, who picked Kentucky in late-May, immediately comes to mind — but it’s certainly not the norm.
But here’s the thing: Wiggins hasn’t asked for any of this attention. He doesn’t want it. You want proof? Wiggins isn’t announcing his college decision on ESPN even though he could probably convince Disney to broadcast a press conference on Good Morning America if he truly wanted to. He’s doing it quietly in front of friends, family and teammates … and a single reporter.
Grant Traylor, the beat writer for Marshall University that happens to work for a local paper.
There’s nothing wrong with not being able, or not wanting, to make a decision on something like deciding where to go to college, even if it is just a seven-month stopover.
Wiggins’ indecisiveness isn’t an attention-seeking diva moment.
It’s simply a kid being indecisive.
It’s a kid not wanting the fame, only wanting to play basketball.
It’s everything that we want to see out of star athletes.
So let’s try not to criticize him for it.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Malik Monk is rated No. 6 overall in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:44 PM EDT
It’s the second commit in as many nights for the Cyclones.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Javion Ogunyemi averaged 9.3 points and 4.8 rebounds per game in 2014-15.
Aug 31, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
The two teams last met in the 2013 Big East Tournament
Aug 31, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Indiana dismissed the forward after his second alcohol-related incident.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
Cheick Diallo is still waiting to hear from the NCAA Eligibility Center.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
Frank Jackson will make his college decision on Tuesday.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Rawle Alkins is one of the best players to come out of New York in years.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan seems to be taking things slowly when it comes to deciding his future.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Texas native Marques Bolden is focusing on seven schools.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
Rick Pitino gives some candid thoughts on Louisville and Puerto Rico.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:52 PM EDT
With Monte’ Morris being a junior and Nick Noskowiak leaving the program, Iowa State needed a point guard in the 2016 class.
Aug 30, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
These games against seasoned competition will help Michigan State in the tough Big Ten this season.
Aug 30, 2015, 7:27 PM EDT
Gbinije averaged 7.3 points and 2.1 rebounds per game at Afrobasket.
Aug 30, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Hill led the team in minutes played last season, and it’s been tough to keep him out of the gym this summer despite attempts to get him to spend some time resting.
Aug 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Notre Dame has a bouncy freshman guard in Rex Pflueger.
Aug 30, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
Reid Travis is looking like a potential go-to scorer for the Cardinal this season after some strong outings in Europe.
Aug 30, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Colorado State is having a rough go of getting great programs to play in their building.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Scottie Lindsey put one on a defender during Northwestern’s trip to Spain.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
According to the New York Post, Morton will go back to teaching full-time.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)