May 13, 2013, 9:59 AM EST
At 12:15 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon, one head coach will receive an early christmas present, as Andrew Wiggins will be announcing where he will spend his one year on campus.
The choice is down to Kentucky, Florida State, Kansas and North Carolina, and it’s a decision that absolutely no one — not any of the people that cover recruiting, not any of the coaches involved in pursuing Wiggins, not anyone outside of Andrew and the Wiggins’ family — seems to have any clue about. The country’s best high school hoops prospect since Kevin Durant, and possibly LeBron James, has kept this limited to just those people closest to him.
And frankly, that’s refreshing.
In an era where high school athletes think they’ve made it because their names pop up in the headlines of websites trafficked by the most die-hard recruiting junkies, Wiggins has done everything he can to keep his name out of the spotlight. He doesn’t do interviews. He’s tweeted less than 1,000 times. He’d rather spend his days doing things high school seniors do than try and soak up the attention and adoration that we love to send the way of our nation’s best athletes.
As a result, his recruitment has drummed up a never-before-seen amount of attention and speculation, and there are a couple of reasons for that:
- Wiggins is a good enough prospect that he will completely change the outlook of the season for whatever team he ends up joining. Florida State would go from a likely NIT team to a top 25 team, Kansas would instantly become the favorite to win the Big 12, etc. There’s always going to be more interest in a player the more talented he is.
- No one has any inside information on this. Everyone is clueless. Everyone is speculating. Between twitter and the immediacy of our current news cycle — and with fan bases like Kentucky, Kansas and North Carolina involved — there is no shortage of folks anxiously waiting for the slightest bit of information.
- His recruitment has seemingly dragged on forever. It’s May 13th. The last day of the spring signing period is May 15th. Wiggins is the only top 100 recruit left undecided. At this point, the only other players looking to grab a roster spot in the Class of 2013 are the guys that weren’t good enough and are still trying to prove themselves. It’s not unheard of for a top recruit to wait this long — Terrence Jones, who picked Kentucky in late-May, immediately comes to mind — but it’s certainly not the norm.
But here’s the thing: Wiggins hasn’t asked for any of this attention. He doesn’t want it. You want proof? Wiggins isn’t announcing his college decision on ESPN even though he could probably convince Disney to broadcast a press conference on Good Morning America if he truly wanted to. He’s doing it quietly in front of friends, family and teammates … and a single reporter.
Grant Traylor, the beat writer for Marshall University that happens to work for a local paper.
There’s nothing wrong with not being able, or not wanting, to make a decision on something like deciding where to go to college, even if it is just a seven-month stopover.
Wiggins’ indecisiveness isn’t an attention-seeking diva moment.
It’s simply a kid being indecisive.
It’s a kid not wanting the fame, only wanting to play basketball.
It’s everything that we want to see out of star athletes.
So let’s try not to criticize him for it.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Feb 26, 2015, 5:54 PM EST
Without Jordan McLaughlin, USC will have to rely on Julian Jacobs at the point in their final two regular season games.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:50 PM EST
In addition to a ruptured plantar fascia suffered in a loss to Florida in late-January, Ricky Tarrant also needs to undergo a procedure on his left knee.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Boeheim doesn’t seem pleased about the ruling.
Feb 26, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
This borders on criminal.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:37 PM EST
There aren’t many surprises here.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:54 PM EST
SMU will also be making a trip to visit Memphis.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:58 AM EST
This is incredible.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:19 AM EST
These are more understated than recent adidas uniforms.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:43 AM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 8:26 AM EST
Chris Jones was dismissed from the team on Sunday.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:38 AM EST
And No. 2 Virginia limited Wake Forest to 21.8% shooting without two starters.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
The Duke defense is the biggest red flag on any true contender.
Feb 25, 2015, 11:33 PM EST
Scott Drew’s Bears went on an 18-4 second half run to take control of the game, hitting six three-pointers.
Feb 25, 2015, 9:57 PM EST
Here are Wednesday’s bubble winners and losers.
Feb 25, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby also notes that the conference is having conversations regarding possible protocols for situations in which fans rush the court.
Feb 25, 2015, 6:14 PM EST
The CBI becomes the second postseason event to announce that it will use a 30-second shot clock this spring.
Feb 25, 2015, 5:02 PM EST
The shirts are cool, but just as important is getting enough fans in seats to make a difference against Florida State.
Feb 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
This loss is a massive blow to Wisconsin’s chances of getting a No. 1 seed.
Feb 25, 2015, 2:06 PM EST
Currie discusses what went wrong on Monday night.
Feb 25, 2015, 1:23 PM EST
Is Iowa State the favorite to win the Big 12 now?
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)