May 13, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
Despite the loss of stalwarts like guards Pierre Jackson and A.J. Walton, Baylor’s 2013-14 roster was looking primed for a better showing with players like Isaiah Austin, Corey Jefferson and Brady Heslip coming back for another season.
Things may have just gotten a bit harder for the Bears, as ESPN.com’s Jason King is reporting that guard Deuce Bello has requested a release from his scholarship and will transfer from the program.
Bello’s career for coach Scott Drew has been underwhelming to say the least. He was part of a heralded duo in the 2011 class with high school teammate Quincy Miller. Miller left for the pros after one season, and in his two seasons in Waco, Bello hasn’t averaged more than the 3.3 points per game he contributed as a freshman. He played less than 10 minutes in 14 of the team’s final 20 games this season.
Baylor guard Deuce Bello has asked for his release and will transfer, multiple sources told ESPN.com
— Jason King (@JasonKingESPN) May 13, 2013
This past year, the 6-6, 187-pound Bello, a Greensboro, N.C. native, averaged 2.4 points, 1.4 rebounds and shot 45.3 percent from the field and 15-of-35 (42.9 percent) from the free throw line.
As far as being at Baylor next year, the signing of four-star guard Allerik Freeman to go with incoming freshman small forward Ishmail Wainwright wouldn’t have helped Bello’s chances for playing time in the future.
Whoever gets Bello is getting a player with a lot of potential. He is athletic, quick and has the ability to be a solid second or third scoring option on a team when the opportunity presents itself. He tied a season high with 10 points in the Bears’ 112-66 victory over Long Beach State in the first round of the NIT this season. Bello was four-star recruit coming out of high school.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)