May 13, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
Despite the loss of stalwarts like guards Pierre Jackson and A.J. Walton, Baylor’s 2013-14 roster was looking primed for a better showing with players like Isaiah Austin, Corey Jefferson and Brady Heslip coming back for another season.
Things may have just gotten a bit harder for the Bears, as ESPN.com’s Jason King is reporting that guard Deuce Bello has requested a release from his scholarship and will transfer from the program.
Bello’s career for coach Scott Drew has been underwhelming to say the least. He was part of a heralded duo in the 2011 class with high school teammate Quincy Miller. Miller left for the pros after one season, and in his two seasons in Waco, Bello hasn’t averaged more than the 3.3 points per game he contributed as a freshman. He played less than 10 minutes in 14 of the team’s final 20 games this season.
Baylor guard Deuce Bello has asked for his release and will transfer, multiple sources told ESPN.com
— Jason King (@JasonKingESPN) May 13, 2013
This past year, the 6-6, 187-pound Bello, a Greensboro, N.C. native, averaged 2.4 points, 1.4 rebounds and shot 45.3 percent from the field and 15-of-35 (42.9 percent) from the free throw line.
As far as being at Baylor next year, the signing of four-star guard Allerik Freeman to go with incoming freshman small forward Ishmail Wainwright wouldn’t have helped Bello’s chances for playing time in the future.
Whoever gets Bello is getting a player with a lot of potential. He is athletic, quick and has the ability to be a solid second or third scoring option on a team when the opportunity presents itself. He tied a season high with 10 points in the Bears’ 112-66 victory over Long Beach State in the first round of the NIT this season. Bello was four-star recruit coming out of high school.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)