May 13, 2013, 7:25 PM EST
Despite the loss of stalwarts like guards Pierre Jackson and A.J. Walton, Baylor’s 2013-14 roster was looking primed for a better showing with players like Isaiah Austin, Corey Jefferson and Brady Heslip coming back for another season.
Things may have just gotten a bit harder for the Bears, as ESPN.com’s Jason King is reporting that guard Deuce Bello has requested a release from his scholarship and will transfer from the program.
Bello’s career for coach Scott Drew has been underwhelming to say the least. He was part of a heralded duo in the 2011 class with high school teammate Quincy Miller. Miller left for the pros after one season, and in his two seasons in Waco, Bello hasn’t averaged more than the 3.3 points per game he contributed as a freshman. He played less than 10 minutes in 14 of the team’s final 20 games this season.
Baylor guard Deuce Bello has asked for his release and will transfer, multiple sources told ESPN.com
— Jason King (@JasonKingESPN) May 13, 2013
This past year, the 6-6, 187-pound Bello, a Greensboro, N.C. native, averaged 2.4 points, 1.4 rebounds and shot 45.3 percent from the field and 15-of-35 (42.9 percent) from the free throw line.
As far as being at Baylor next year, the signing of four-star guard Allerik Freeman to go with incoming freshman small forward Ishmail Wainwright wouldn’t have helped Bello’s chances for playing time in the future.
Whoever gets Bello is getting a player with a lot of potential. He is athletic, quick and has the ability to be a solid second or third scoring option on a team when the opportunity presents itself. He tied a season high with 10 points in the Bears’ 112-66 victory over Long Beach State in the first round of the NIT this season. Bello was four-star recruit coming out of high school.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 11 Wichita State, No. 19 Baylor among winners in games matching ranked teams 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)